+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hot Water

Default Hot Water

Just My Wife And I Live In Our House We Have A 40 Gallon Water Heater We Do Not Use Hot Water To Wash Clothes Only For Dishes And Showers Etc. My Question Is Would It Be Cheaper For Us To Use A Smaller Water Heater Lets Say A 25 Gallon Or Should We Keep The 40 Gallon? I Have Hot Air Heat.
    Last edited by JACK COOK; 11-11-2007 at 11:34 AM. Reason: asked to by JacktheShack

Default Re: Hot Water

I believe that the larger heaters are more efficient, in that their volume mass retains heat longer than their smaller counterparts. Whether or not you'd recognize any real savings between the two is probably pretty hard to quantify.

I agree with Spruce.

Could you advise what type of heating system you have?

If you happen to have hot water heat, there are indirect heaters of varying capacities that are very economical.

Please post back.

Post Re: Hot Water

Quote Originally Posted by JACK COOK View Post
    Just My Wife And I Live In Our House We Have A 40 Gallon Water Heater We Do Not Use Hot Water To Wash Clothes Only For Dishes And Showers Etc. My Question Is Would It Be Cheaper For Us To Use A Smaller Water Heater Lets Say A 25 Gallon Or Should We Keep The 40 Gallon?
    JACK COOK FORT PIERCE FLORIDA

Quote Originally Posted by JACK COOK View Post
    Just My Wife And I Live In Our House We Have A 40 Gallon Water Heater We Do Not Use Hot Water To Wash Clothes Only For Dishes And Showers Etc. My Question Is Would It Be Cheaper For Us To Use A Smaller Water Heater Lets Say A 25 Gallon Or Should We Keep The 40 Gallon? I Have Hot Air Heat.
    It may very well be that you could reduce the size ...but ... it depends on how much of that hot water you will use for the showers , dishes , etc. and how frequent.
    Also is it feasible to remove the 40 gallon tank if it is in good operating condition?
    It may be a simple issue of adding an insulating blanket to the existing tank.

The tank less on demand type would be the most feasible since there is zero standing water to maintain heat. The up front cost is high but the operating costs are lower.

Cheers.