• cut in house

0 0%
  • cut at fabricator

0 0%
  • cut out of hse and install

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread

Default Granite counter sink cut out

What is the proper way to make a cut out for a top mount sink in a new top. Is cutting in the house an acceptable method?

Default Re: Granite counter sink cut out

Cutouts in granite and other stone surfaces are made with grinders that run at about 1100 rpms and fitted with a diamond impregnated blade.

Pro installers use duct tape to build a shallow dam around the opening they plan to cut. Beneath the proposed cut out, they tape some heavy duty plastic sheeting so that it sags and creates a net to catch any debris.

While the cutter moves his grinder through the granite, he holds a large sponge loaded with water against the side of the blade to keep it cool. A helper often follows behind holding another waterlogged sponge on the back of the blade. With this method, dust is almost nonexistent.

After the entire perimeter is deeply scored, relief cuts are made in each corner forming little triangles that are knocked out with a hammer. Then before the majority of the center is knocked out, the helper affixes heavy duty suction cups to the surface and holds on to the waste, while the other whacks at it with a hammer. The rough edges are then cleaned up with the grinder. Relatively simple, but involves some specialized tools, especially if your cut out is a circle.

You should get an estimate for this work. You may be pleasantly surprised to find that hiring a pro is less expensive than your time, troubles and tool costs.
    Last edited by Mark; 06-29-2007 at 06:31 PM.

Thanks Mark,
    I recently had new granite installed thru a large retailer and they cut using a diamond blade and a vacume cleaner. Needless to day the house was a mess and my lungs were a mess as well. They told me "this is better than the method you described) I have been in a heated discussion since.
    Wayne

Mark has it very close to how I do it. but first a sink cut out for a top mount sink needs to be done in place for most counter tops. the reason being that there is so little granite remaining in front and in back of the cut out that it would break trying to install it. I put masking tape over the counter top makring where my cuts are going to be then I use my core drill for the corners and cut from corner to corner. I don't use a sponge I use 2 water spray bottles a shop vac as well as I basically tent off the area with plastic to make sure there is no dust problem. the problem with using just sponges is that granite dust is very fine and stays air borne for days and a wet sponge will get a lot of it but not even close to all of it. making homeowners upset about dusting every day for the next week

Hi Wayne-
    We had granite installed at our home on Friday...the hole for the undermount sink was already cut into the granite when they brought it here. The did drill the faucet hole, here on site...used a shopvac to clean up the dust.
    We ordered the granite from a place in NJ and there were here to do the template on Monday then returned on Friday to do the installation! The would have been here on Thursday but it was Thanksgiving. Could not be more happy.

Shayla

Quote Originally Posted by shayla View Post
    Hi Wayne-
    We had granite installed at our home on Friday...the hole for the undermount sink was already cut into the granite when they brought it here. The did drill the faucet hole, here on site...used a shopvac to clean up the dust.
    We ordered the granite from a place in NJ and there were here to do the template on Monday then returned on Friday to do the installation! The would have been here on Thursday but it was Thanksgiving. Could not be more happy.

Shayla
    the difference being is yours is an undermount sink and his is a top mount sink, for a top mount sink the cut out is much larger.