+ Reply to Thread

Default Question about grounding an outlet

I need to have the three pronged outlet in my bedroom grounded to accomodate all of my media equipment (VCR, Digital cable box and TV).

I am in the process of getting estimates, and I'd like to know if what the following electrician said is true: He said that he'd have to run a line from the box in the basement up to the outlet. Is this true or is there another way to do it. (I've read various articles and posts on other sites, but I wasn't sure if the posters correct, and I'd like to be forearmed before I go on to the next estimate. I have also been informed by the cable guy that I could also get a grounded surger protector for $189 instead. Do these provide the same result?)

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Toody; 11-08-2007 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Adding additional question.

Default Re: Question about grounding an outlet

Toody... while it's never a bad thing to have grounded outlets ... what's the reason for the need for the grounded outlet for the TV and VCR ?
    Most ... not all ... house hold electronic equipment usually have only a 2 prong plug anyway.

I'm assuming you might be thinking you require this for using something like a power strip with surge protection. In which case you would need the grounded outlet. Likely the outlet that you currently have is tied into other areas of the house and probably at the limit already.

If you are going to have an electrician run a ground wire from the service panel to the outlet it would be worth while having a new grounded circuit run instead. It will be just as much work to do this , the cost would be about the same and it would be safer. You can have two duplex receptacles ( 4 outlets ) installed which will allow plenty of plug-in availability on a separate and dedicated grounded circuit.

As for the cable guy recommending "a grounded surge protector for $189 " it's not clear as to what type this is. If it's some type that plugs into a receptacle ( outlet ) that wouldn't make sense because there is no ground at the existing outlet. If it's a type that would be installed at the service panel (TVSS) this wouldn't provide a ground to the existing outlet either. It would provide surge protection for that circuit at the service panel.

Hopefully this helps.

If all your outlets are two pronged it may be neccesary to install a ground rode and a wire from the ground rod to the panel also. And as Canuk said "If you are going to have an electrician run a ground wire from the service panel to the outlet it would be worth while having a new grounded circuit run instead."
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for your suggestions. I really appreciate it!

I had a three-pronged plug installed to accomodate the surge protector which holds the plugs to my TV, VCR/DVD combo and a digital cable box. Soon after changing from analog cable to digital cable, I noticed transparent grayish white waves running through the picture of non-digital programming, that were nonexistent when I had just an analog box.

The cable guy said that I'd need a grounded outlet and explained in technical terms that the reason that the picture contains waves has to due with the lack of grounding. (He checked my cable connection with his own TV and the same channels (digital)showed the same wavy lines running through them.)

By the way, the electrician who said I'd need a line from the box to my outlet said he couldn't guarantee that grounded the plug would solve the problem. Also, he said I do have a ground in that particular outlet -- just not a good one. (My house was built in 1957 and apparently all the connections are running to the same box -- and running off of one area of the box.)

This is so irritating. I changed from analog cable to digital cable because my cable company was offering a good deal. Now the money I'd be saving on a different package will have to be used for electrical work. Geez.