+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question Where to find a key switch for an electical circuit?

I have a shop in my basement with all the electrical outlets on a single circuit. I would like to install a key switch that will turn off and lock that circuit for safety reasons as I do have very young exploring children and there a a number of power tools in there.
    I have done numerous Google searches for "circuit key switch" and various patterns but I am not getting any real hits. I have also searched the major home stores for this sort of thing and it seems to be beyond them as well.
    I realize I could simply turn off the breaker but I would like it so that the children cannot just turn it back on. This is also something I was to install near the light switch so that when I leave, I will remember to lock/turn off that power circuit.

Can anyone tell me where I can find such a thing or a better keyword that I can search on?

Default Re: Where to find a key switch for an electical circuit?

You could lock out/tag out the breaker. And of course then lock the panel box.

I had a similar problem in a garage sop -- I put a regular 20 Amp switch near the door that was mounted high on the wall -- I think that I put it around 7' off the floor. I just turned it off when I went out.

You could put a single light on that circuit as a reminder to turn it off when you leave.

Another option would be to get a keyed power tool switch -- like is on Craftsman tools and mount that high on the wall -- it has a plastic key -- not really secure -- but a deterant.

Bob H

You could use a low voltage key switch - like an automotive switch - and a low voltage transformer to power a 20 or 30 amp relay. Run the 120v~ circuit through the relay's contacts. When the key switch is 'ON' the relay is activated and the 120v~ circuit is 'hot.' Turning the switch 'OFF' would deactivate the relay, and the 120v~ circuit. Switch, small transformer - think 'wall wart' sized - the relay, and a box to put it all in should only set you back about thirty dollars or so.
    Jim D.

Check out this web site. I think it has what you are looking for but it doesn't seem that you can buy from the web site. You could probably contact them to see where you can get it from.

http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/switches.asp

Try an electrical supply house, rather than a home center. If they don't have a key-operated switch in stock, they can order it for you.
    HTH

Dave