+ Reply to Thread

Default Renovation Costs?

I'm hoping someone on this board can help me with this question. My husband and I have been in love with a Queen Anne Victorian in Southeastern, MA for some time now. The house is in need of similiarly extensive renovations as the Newton House (completely new kitchen, expanded master bedroom, general layout redesign throughout the first floor, exterior painting). Understanding that all projects are unique and we have no idea what we don't know at this point (electrical, plumbing, foundation, etc) can anyone give me a very rough guesstimate as to what we should expect in terms of a renovation budget? While the asking price for the home is attractive, we have no idea what to realistically expect renovations to cost. Thank you in advance for any help!

Default Re: Renovation Costs?

Too many unknown variables to even guess.

Depending on the scope of the renovations , the age and condition of the home your costs can be anywhere from $50 - $100 per square foot or more. There is always the unforseens that come up in old homes and usually they are major ... in cases budget breakers. There are times when it can be quicker and cheaper to knock down the house and build a new replica.... but that depends also.

Don't mean to scare you off.

what would you guess the budget is for the renovation on the Newton House?

Couldn't begin to guess ... remember these projects are unrealistic since there are lots of products and labor donated to the show for advertising considerations.

I've been trying to find the budget/cost for the Newton project. I live in Austin and if memory serves the budget, per the Austin American-Statesman, for the Austin house was $250,000. The Newton house is so much larger and the amount of work so much more extensive than the Austin house.

My guess, if you had to pay for the work, materials, and products going into the Newton house you woud be talking about between 1 and 1.2 million dollars.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Angry Re: Renovation Costs?

When you consider what the cost of buying the house was, and how much more money that was spent for all the work that was done to the house. A new kitchen and all cabinets and appliances, the deck, the landscaping walls and leveling the yard, the house foundation repairs, the garage repairs, the heating and air conditioning systems etc. the total costs are out of reach of a good percentage(80 to 90%)of the viewers who watch the show.
    We can only dream of improvements like what was done to the property, I know that I could never afford anything close to what was spent!

That's where DIY comes in so you reduce or eliminate the labor costs, but the material costs are always there. If you're really good at DIY then you will probably be able to find the problems and estimate the repair costs yourself but most folks aren't that far along into the business of home inspection anbd renovating. Once again, if you don't know what you're doing then don't do it; get expert advice first so you don't end up with more trouble than you bargained for. For these folks I reccomend they get at least a few contractors to find the problems and estimate the repair costs, then deduct from that whatever they feel the can do themselves. At least then you should know what you're getting into so you can decide if it's right for you. You'll probably have to pay something for decent estimates but these folks might find things you didn't and save you some major headaches(and your bank account)in the process.

It's good to dream big, but if the dream isn't based on reality it almost always becomes a nightmare instead!

MC
    Last edited by Mastercarpentry; 02-03-2008 at 09:57 AM. Reason: mistook home referred to , deleted irrelevant mat'l