+ Reply to Thread

Default Hammering/rumbling in kitchen faucet

About one month ago I began to notice a rumbling (hammering) sound when my kitchen faucet is turned on. I don't hear it when the faucet is turned off, nor do I hear it on any other faucet in the house. It doesn't seem to be getting worse. Any ideas?

Default Re: Hammering/rumbling in kitchen faucet

it is a loose washer in either the faucet itself or the shutoff valve below.also make sure the shutoffs are opened fully

I literally laughed at loud at the post above by DwarfWytch. It is NOT water hammer and you should NOT have a hammer arrestor above turnouts to the kitchen sink supply stops and therefore the non-existent hammer arrestor is NOT full of water and does NOT need to be drained!

FYI water hammer occurs when an electric solenoid driven valve typicaly in a washer slams closed and a hundred pounds of fast-moving water in the line abruptly slams to a halt. The resulting reflected shockwave back through the line sounds like something -- a hammer, for instance -- hit the pipe. A hammer arrestor is simply a vertical air chamber near the shut-off to the appliance -- the air in it, unlike the water in the line, compresses on 'impact' to soften the sudden halt without producing the backward shockwave and bang in the pipe.

Turn both supply stops full-open then close 1/4 turn. If that doesn't solve it, replace the entire faucet, before it fails completely -- not a pretty sight...!

Quote Originally Posted by C Ed Wright View Post

Turn both supply stops full-open then close 1/4 turn. If that doesn't solve it, replace the entire faucet, before it fails completely -- not a pretty sight...!

Do you mind if I ask you this question?

Why replace the entire faucet? Why not just replace the suspect components?

What do you mean by "not a pretty sight"?