+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Granite countertops...what do you use to clean yours?

Kitchen is done, now it is time to start using it. What should we use to clean our granite countertops regularly. The place where we bought the granite recommended their own brand of cleaner, was on the pricey side too. What does everyone out there use and how are your results? Thinking regular soap and water daily with a sealer applied every six months or so. Thoughts?

Default Re: Granite countertops...what do you use to clean yours?

soap and water is best. sealers are quite often over used. what type color) of grantie do you have?

Thanks for your quick reply! It is a really dark, almost black granite with flecks of black and grey. I'm not worried about staining at all with the dark color, just concerned that I could hurt the mirror finish with anthing.

stay with soap and water, if something is stuck on use either a razor blade or steel wool. if you feel you need to use some other product you can go to granquartz.com and buy the very same products that I buy. or granitecitytool.com I prefer gran quartz. do not use any chemical cleaner such as 409, comet, or even an amonia based cleaner.

as far as sealers, if you pour water on it and it doesn't darken the stone, and if you dab some mineral oil on it and it doesn't darken the stone, then nothing is penetrating and nothing will stain, and it would be a waste of money to buy a sealer because sealers are penetrating but if they won't penetrate you will be just wiping them back off.

enjoy your beautiful stone counter tops. any problems just drop me a line.

Thank You So Much Havanagranite!!!

dw if you knew anything about fabricating stone counter tops you would know that steel wool is how we clean the wax off the granite first you sc**** the majority off with a razor blade then you rub it with steel wool.

dw go to one of the links I provided and you will see they sell steel wool. amazing isn't it. granite is hard it takes a lot to scratch it. and she doesn't need a sealer for her granite. if you were in the trade you would know it.

http://www.americangraniteresources....ROD&ProdID=154
    Last edited by havanagranite; 12-02-2007 at 06:31 PM. Reason: add link

yea you spoke to fast and got caught. once you did some searches to back you lack of knowledge all that is left is mouth

and it wouldn't be scratched by steel wool or a razor granite is much harder than steel wool. peddle harder your still sinking

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfWytch View Post
    HG,
    Neither of your immediatly preceeding posts are worth responding to for a multitude of reasons, which are quite obvious to anyone who knows what you claim to know. Except that only you and the OP suggested that the granite was or would require sealing of any kind (wax or otherwise). I mentioned a polished (as in mechanical) finish (as opposed to a honed finish) to the granite.
    wax is not a sealer, it just gives it that final pop for the shine. sealers for counter tops are only good if they penetrate. if they are just topical sealers then they will fog and in time leave the finish looking dull, then they will have to be removed either chemically or scraping with a (heavens no) a razor.