+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Unhappy Hanging a LIGHT - with no red, black or white wires?

[FONT="Arial Black"]Hello...my question is below in purple if you don't want to read my life story...

This may be a dumb question, but I can take it... after all I was a pastor for 25 years and well, nothing surprises me anymore.

In my defense I was born and raised in a church owned home (parsonage) so if we needed work done, we'd have to call the trustees. Well, we bought our first home a year and a half ago and we've been slowly making improvements...

Which brings me to my question:

I purchased a used light, which has regular **** plastic wires... the wires are exactly the same with the exact same copper wire that has been spliced, there is however also a ground wire, I can handle that. QUESTION: Does it matter which wire on my USED light gets the black, white, or red wires?
    [/FONT]
    Thanks... so much![ATTACH][ATTACH]_pack[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Default Re: Hanging a LIGHT - with no red, black or white wires?

Almost forgot... thanks in advance!

Alfetta159 Guest

No.

With the exception of the ground wire which should be connected to the metal box that the light mounts on.

I can tell you what "should" be but I can't see it from my office so I can't tell you what "is".

Ready?

Okay, on the lamp socket the shell, the threaded part of the socket should be the white or neutral and the little tab in the bottom of the socket should be the hot or black/colored wire. On your cord you should find writing and/or a rib on only one of the pair of wires and this should be connected to the neutral or white wire.

A simple continuity tester would tell you a lot if you remember that the socket shell should be the neutral/white.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda

What Kentvw said is correct. When you use a continuity checker to find out which wire is connected to the center button in the socket wrap some black tape around it so you'll know the next time.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If I knew what a "continuity checker" was for I probably wouldn't have been looking for the answer on here... yikes, now I AM confused. Thanks anyway...

Default Grammar was bad ?

If I knew what a "continuity checker" was for, I probably wouldn't have been looking for the answer on here... yikes, now I AM confused. Thanks anyway...

QUESTION: Does it matter which wire on my USED light gets the black, white,
    For the light to work it doesn't matter which wire goes to which ... the light will work.

For the proper safe way ....the **** colored wire with the rib or writing will connect to the white wire in the electrical box.

The other **** wire from the light will be connected to the black wire in the electrical box.

Hopefully that helps.

Oops ... large font ... looks different eh?