+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cloths Washer Drain Stand Pipe Overflows

Bob O Boy could I use HELP. Here's my problem. When the wife washes cloths in our washing machine, on the last rinse, using hot water to wash and cold water to rinse, soap suds come right up the pipe overflowing onto the floor. We have tried cleaning out the stand pipe using a hose to wash down anything in the pipe. We have changed brands of soap, and here comes the real tricky part. This does not happen every wash, posibly only every other or every third wash load.
    Any suggestions from anyone? Baffaling to me, as well as just a pain in the XXX. LarsToU

Default Re: Cloths Washer Drain Stand Pipe Overflows

hey dwarf ditch give the man a break will ya. he doesnt want to be made to feel like the piece of crud youre makin him out to be. he just wants an honest answer to an honest problem hes having with his washer.

why do you have to embarras people everytime they post on these boards looking for help.

ditch the wytch.

I have had this problem. I have a result that helped my situation.

Mine is an older condo. back in the day washers pumps moved less volume. NOW the pumps move copious ammounts.

My plumber added height to the stand pipe using pvc equal to diameter of cast pipe and a rubber collar to join the two.

Materials are affordable.
    give it a shot.. worked for me

Hi,

Do you live in a low area with older sewer system? or older
    neighborhood?

I've had my washer for 5 years with no problems. now when it drains it overflows out of the standpipe. ive checked my sewer line and it seems to be clear. it also does not do it every time.

Regards:
    Hank Freid
    according to Hidden Content another property and part of impulsive group

Well I have found a very stisfactory solution to my problem, thanks to my son.
    I bought an adapter to go from the 1 1/2 inch diameter stand pipe to a 4 inch diameter PVC standpipe. Then I bought a 4 foot length of 4 inch PVC. I cut off the 1 1/2 inch standpipe just high enough to be sure the adapter would go on easily.
    I cleaned and cemented the adapter to the 4 inch pipe. I held it up behind the washing machine, with the hose in the 4 inch PVC pipe. I found that I needed to cut off about 7 inches of the 4 inch pipe. After cutting off the 4 inch PVC I put the hose into the 4 inch pipe. It would fit OK. I cleaned and cemented the assembled PVC 4 inch pipe with the adapter to 1 1/2 inch adapter cemented in place. I placed a wood block under the goosneck for support. I took a piece of wire and heated the end of the wire pushing the wire thru one side of the 4 inch pipe and doing this across from the first hole. I then took wire and attached it to the ceiling joice to insure it did not pull over with the machine hose in the 4 inch pipe.
    I tried it. Success. I am so glad. That mess from every wash was just a thorn in my wet floor. Thank You to my son. Lars<><

Just a thought. Is your washing machine one of the new High Efficiency units. If it is, are you using High Efficiency detergent. Using reg detergent in a high efficiency machine will make a ton of soap bubbles. Maybe thats the problem
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Just a thought. Is your washing machine one of the new High Efficiency units. If it is, are you using High Efficiency detergent. Using reg detergent in a high efficiency machine will make a ton of soap bubbles. Maybe thats the problem
    Amen to that.
    There should not be any discernible sudsing in the rinse cycle if you're using the right amt. of detergent. Foam will cause overflows. But then, so will a slow drain. Run a cycle of just water, see how it drains.. If it still overflows, you need roto-rooter.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I had this problem using the regular detergent in at HE machine. Switched back and hasn't happend since...

Smile Re: Cloths Washer Drain Stand Pipe Overflows

The gvii valve was invented to stop washer drain overflow!For more info on this patented proven product go to gviivalve.com Thanks

The problem is easy to define. The new washers pump out too fast for the drain line to handle. Spend a fortune and a lot of grief modifying the piping or... do the easy thing.

Reduce the pump-out rate by a third to a half.

Get to the pump (may be difficult), remove the hose connector, insert a washer with a small hole in the hose, reclamp the hose.

Difficulties include loosening the hose adaptor and reattaching. This is easier with a nut driver than a screw driver. Also, use a flashlight to see the connector.

Make sure the washer is big enough to hold in place and yet has a small enough hole (3/8") to slow down the flow. You can use three washers to combine these features, and glue them together. Sandwich the small hole washer in between two large washers.

The advantage of doing the restiction at the pump is it doesn't increase the pressure on the hose. If your hose is strong, you could jam something into the hose to slow down the flow.

Cost of solution is a few cents for washers, and a little time.