+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How long for the last cut B4 winter?

What length should the grass be cut as you put it to bed for the winter just before snow and frost.
    I use my ride on mower to pick up my leaves in its leaf/grass catcher so at that point it will also be cutting my grass one last time.... around Thanksgiving + -
    Usually I cut it about 1 1/2"-2" ish on the last cut...but was curious if there's a standard cut
    In New York
    Thanks
    Be well
    andy
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Default Re: How long for the last cut B4 winter?

Don't know for sure, Andy. Kinda depends upon species/blend of grass, me thinks. And perhaps soil types.

Everybody here (NW Illinois) has bluegrass blends. I usually cut to 2" (taller if conditions are droughty). Try to cut when it reaches 3" - 3 1/2", but that doesn't always happen in reality. Sometimes it's 5" + before I can get to it. Have to mow 3/4 acre here and 2 1/2 acres+ over at the farm. Helps keep me busy and out of trouble.

1 1/2" sounds awfully short. Might actually stress the grass.

Fall fertilizer is important around here....especially if the grass is showing signs of thinning a bit. A thick lawn is a healthy lawn, IME. People stop here from other parts of the country and always remark about how nice our lawns are. They love the rich color and the thickness of it. We very rarely have to water, either. Lucky, I guess. Then again, sometimes I can appreciate a bit of drought. Saves me gas and mowing time. <G>
    Last edited by goldhiller; 11-05-2007 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    Don't know for sure, Andy. Kinda depends upon species/blend of grass, me thinks. And perhaps soil types.

Everybody here (NW Illinois) has bluegrass blends. I usually cut to 2" (taller if conditions are droughty). Try to cut when it reaches 3" - 3 1/2", but that doesn't always happen in reality. Sometimes it's 5" + before I can get to it. Have to mow 3/4 acre here and 2 1/2 acres+ over at the farm. Helps keep me busy and out of trouble.

1 1/2" sounds awfully short. Might actually stress the grass.

Fall fertilizer is important around here....especially if the grass is showing signs of thinning a bit. A thick lawn is a healthy lawn, IME. People stop here from other parts of the country and always remark about how nice our lawns are. They love the rich color and the thickness of it. We very rarely have to water, either. Lucky, I guess. Then again, sometimes I can appreciate a bit of drought. Saves me gas and mowing time. <G>

Thanks ****ie
    YEh, thought so. I scored a leaf/lawn catcher i use for leaves. WHAT A LIFESAVER!!!! I have about 1 1/2 acres to mow..ugh and tons of big old growth trees with a whole lotta leaves. The leaves look great when they're atteched to the branches...lol...but when they fall....grrrrrrrrr. Next year if this house ain't sold I'm climbin' them dang trees and gluin' the leaves to the branches
    But really...the ride on tractor with the leaf catcher is almost as good as sex...lol. Before I bought it it took me a sold week to get he leaves up. I was hating life!!!

So I just keep the blades set up about 2" to chop the leaves up and split em' into the bags...Keeps the lawn at around 2".
    I just added some lime and fertalizer too. I think it needed lime real bad. Was getting brown near the tree line.
    Geezzzz...in California its almost always brown.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

But really...the ride on tractor with the leaf catcher is almost as good as sex..

Apparently.....something is wrong, dude.
    Either the tractor is way too nice or.......

But really...the ride on tractor with the leaf catcher is almost as good as sex..

Apparently.....something is wrong, dude.
    Either the tractor is way too nice or.......
    Well...sex only lasts about a half hour and the tractor cut my work time by4 full days of back breaking work...leaving me refreshed for more sex
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Quote Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
    Well...sex only lasts about a half hour and the tractor cut my work time by4 full days of back breaking work...leaving me refreshed for more sex
    There's a joke in there somewhere, but I think I'd better leave it alone.

Your tractors name wouldn't happen to be Wilma, would it? (inside joke for the old crew)

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    There's a joke in there somewhere, but I think I'd better leave it alone.

Your tractors name wouldn't happen to be Wilma, would it? (inside joke for the old crew)
    SNAPPER...lol
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

LOL That;s too much Andy! LOL

Makes perfect sense to me.

If ya like machinery that saves time and backaches, you'd really like driving one of these.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1069753/10.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1069753/11.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1069753/12.jpg

Makes perfect sense to me.

If ya like machinery that saves time and backaches, you'd really like driving one of these.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1069753/10.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1069753/11.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1069753/12.jpg
    Maybe, but aren't those a little big for lawn duties?