+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Cold water pipe ground

My 50 year old house uses a cold water pipe for the electrical ground. I need to replace that cold water pipe and am concerned about removing the ground while the plumbing work is being done. What do I need to know to safely complete this repair? Thank you.

Default Re: Cold water pipe ground

It may very well be that you are grounding the electrical system via the cold water pipe. However, you are also bonding the piping to to the neutral in the electrical system to keep it at the same potential and providing a path to the neutral.

Is this the only ground? Or do you have a ground rod under the meter and or panel outside? I would think you would have a ground rod. If that is the case and your not going to have use of the plumbing while it is replaced and I would not be too concerned. After all, Homes around the world are being built and plumbing is being installed with out the piping being either used for a ground or being bonded to the electrical system.

The electrical panel is grounded to the cold water pipe only. I see no ground rod connection outside at the meter. Tks.

Sam Guest

Drive a ground rod . Make a parallel connection to the existing ground . Lift the connection to the water pipe . Make your repairs . Have a good day .

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Drive a ground rod . Make a parallel connection to the existing ground . Lift the connection to the water pipe . Make your repairs . Have a good day .
    Thank you. Do I connect the ground rod to the point on the service panel where it's presently connected to the cold water pipe? Do I run the ground cable to the ground rod in conduit (it has to go through the building)? What gauge wire is required for the ground?

Do you have a main breaker? What size is it?

This info will determine ground size.