+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Smile Re: Holiday Decorating Tips

Most holidays I do home swap hence I normally decorate with nature. Mainly flowers and leaves. Sounds weird but its true

Default Re: Holiday Decorating Tips

Investing in a collection, something that can continue to grow through the years and can be passed on to the next generation. Check out auction sites for vintage decorations.

It's good to invest in quality holiday decoration sets as they are stored for most of the year. A good quality decor collection allows you to make use of it for more years to come. Just ensure that they are properly sealed and stored away to avoid damaging them.

Typically about a week before Thanksgiving, I gather up all of the cards that we've received over the year and hang them and a winter themed ribbon on rarely used doors that are also prominent in our home. This helps bring in a festive feel without being Christmas-y in my mind. I also like to display fresh fruit like apples, oranges, and pears on an antiqued tiered stand; as winter progresses I'll mix in natural elements like fresh cuttings of pine branches and pine-cones.

Then, a tradition that I started with my husband is to wake up and go outside the morning of the Saturday or Sunday after Thanksgiving and go for a walk armed with scissors and a couple canvas bags. We'll gather fresh cuttings of pine branches, holly branches, and anything else that catches our eyes (while keeping in mind to spread out our gathering as to not negatively effect the local environment). These cuttings are then put in vases, in my fruit display, old bottles, and the like.

Then, within the next week, we put up our little Christmas tree, pine boughs over our cabinets, and the rest of our Christmas decorations. These stay up till Epiphany and then we take down anything overtly Christmas but leave up the natural pieces that just showcase winter. In Maryland it can be such a drab time of the year, so the extra green and such help bring a little life into our home to soften the blow of the weeks of dreary, grey days.

For years, our holiday decoration seems almost the same. We do some minor changes here and there but other than that, most of the decorations we used have been present most of the time. I'd like a change though; probably in the next holiday season.