+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wallpaper HELP

Default Wallpaper HELP

I have an old house built in 1849. I am trying to redo 3 rooms and have run into some issues. First the paper in the Dining room came off great with a steamer. However i am left with gray sandy plaster walls. It looks like these old Yankees never put on a finish coat. Should I just wallpaper right onto the gritty plaster as they did before, or paint it with primer first

Second issue is the living room. It is plaster and may places of repaired wall with drywall. I 1st coat of wallpaper came off fine, but now I am left with a painted surface with lots of glue. The paint is in good shape. If I am going to wallpaper do I have to take off the glue? Should I primer before I put up new wallpaper. So confused I don't know where to start.

Default Re: Wallpaper HELP

Quote Originally Posted by GMJB View Post
    I have an old house built in 1849. I am trying to redo 3 rooms and have run into some issues. First the paper in the Dining room came off great with a steamer. However i am left with gray sandy plaster walls. It looks like these old Yankees never put on a finish coat. Should I just wallpaper right onto the gritty plaster as they did before, or paint it with primer first

Second issue is the living room. It is plaster and may places of repaired wall with drywall. I 1st coat of wallpaper came off fine, but now I am left with a painted surface with lots of glue. The paint is in good shape. If I am going to wallpaper do I have to take off the glue? Should I primer before I put up new wallpaper. So confused I don't know where to start.
    First of all..no matter what...you HAVE TO prime. An oil primer for wallpaper will give you the very best job.
    Shieldz plus is also a very good primer for wallpaper.
    I hate wallpapering but I've done quite a bit and one think I like doing is tinting the primer the main color of the wallpaper.

Secondly...spackle over any holes and dips with Durobond 20 or 45 minute compound. Make sure its all dry then I'd use a very sharp spackle knife or a 120 grit sandpaper and go over all the walls first to knock any grit and bumps off then wash the walls thoroly with warm water. If you happen to be going over any areas that have been spackled be sure not to saturate those areas with water or it will melt the mud. Oh yeh...the reason I like using Durobond is because it dries really hard and dries fast.

After the walls are clean and dry...if you really want to do an A-1 primo wallpaper job I'd put up a wallpaper backing paper first. Not 100% necessary but if you happen to be really into it.......
    And oh yeh...when you wash the walls make sure you get the old glue off. Very warm water will melt the glue if you let it sit for about 15-20 minutes. Or you can use Diff mixed in warm water if the glue seems stuborn.
    Last edited by andybuildz; 11-04-2007 at 11:48 PM.
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו