+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Remodle with recessed lights, 2 story house

I live in a two story house. I want to put recessed lighting in the kitchen on the first floor. Eveyone I talk to says it can not be done unless we tare the ceiling out of the kitchen. Is there another way to add recessed lights that is not so destructive. Thank you.

Default Re: Remodle with recessed lights, 2 story house

I've been looking to do the same thing. Have you found any additional information on this subject?

If you lay-out your fixtures to only be a couple of joist spaces apart then you can use a flex bit like the one in the link to get wiring between the fixtures.

http://www.lashen.com/vendors/BES/Fish_Bits.asp

You can use remodel type recessed cans in the existing drywall or lath and plaster ceiling.

http://www.ccl-light.com/docs/indoor...7rt/index.html

This project is on my list of “things to do” as well. Maybe after the holidays. And after I get this done……………………. And that done…………… Oh yeah, and that too……….

If your layout demands it you can strategically cut smallish holes in the drywall in the ceiling to run wires. It is not too hard to patch the drywall and it is not very messy. Especially if you can hold a shopvac nozzle close to where you are using the drywall saw.

The link below shows how to do this....TOH also has an article but they seem to promote the use of repair kits from sponsors, rather than using scrap wood to support the replacement piece of drywall. I thought I would make sure you knew your options....It's your choice....have fun!

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/i...air/large.html

Guys, there's a much easier way to place lights around the first floor ceiling without damage to the ceiling with unnecessary access holes or restriction to light placement (due to access). Go upstairs and pull the carpet back and open up the floor. I've done this on several occasions. Once the work is complete, reinstall the subfloor and have the carpet restretched.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Guys, there's a much easier way to place lights around the first floor ceiling without damage to the ceiling with unnecessary access holes or restriction to light placement (due to access). Go upstairs and pull the carpet back and open up the floor. I've done this on several occasions. Once the work is complete, reinstall the subfloor and have the carpet restretched.
    Smarty pants!

Actually that would not work very well in my situation since there is a master bath over my kitchen and no carpet.

Although, if you do go the flex bit route there is a bit of pucker factor not knowing what's on the other side of the joist if you are trying to span blind joist spaces.

I almost said something about that! LOL You're such a stickler ...

Most of the upstairs baths that I've seen are accessed via a decent hallway or bedroom. While you wouldn't necessarily want to remove the bath floor, you could still possibly access the joist bays from outside the bath, provided the joists are running in the right direction. Before any demolition/access work begins, laying out the area is a must, which I do with a stud finder and a piece of paper. The stud finder finds the joists, the paper allows the stud finder to glide over the cottage cheese texture on the ceiling.

Also in the case of a bathroom upstairs, you'd want to make sure that there are no plumbing obstacles in the way of light placement, something that can only be done via an visual inspection of the joist bays.

ASpruce...Hadn't even thought of that approach since we have hardwood throughout. But with carpet, that is the better way to go!

Certainly, no one method will work in all cases, sometimes a combination of things is required. The key is having enough ideas to make the job as easy as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Certainly, no one method will work in all cases, sometimes a combination of things is required. The key is having enough ideas to make the job as easy as possible.
    My Grand dad was a contractor. He always said "Give me a crew of all really hard working guy's and one really lazy guy. because the lazy guy will figure out the easiest way to get the job done."