+ Reply to Thread

Default Trouble with compression fittings

We are removing a sink from a wet bar that used to be in what is now our family room. We have to use compression fittings because our shut off valves are old and don't shut the water off completely, there's still quite a bit of leakage which makes soldering impossible.

We have installed compression fittings with caps to condemn both hot and cold lines. We put teflon tape around the threads as recommended by hardware store employee.

We have two questions:

1- Is it normal for them to be so darn hard to tighten? We're still getting about a drop every hour after we've tighten the heck out of it.

2- Are compression fittings as trusworthy as a soldered connection? Will it last as long?

Default Re: Trouble with compression fittings

You don't use pipe dope or teflon tape with compression fittings. I don't personally care for them myself, but do use them when necessary. The key is that the parts must be clean and you use two wrenches that fit the fittings so that you can set the wrenches in a "V" shape and squeeze them together, tightening the nut with sufficient force. As they come up to being tight enough, they'll squeak as you continue to tighten. The fittings are tight enough when you no longer have leakage.

If your angle stops don't shut off tight enough, then I recommend turning off the water at the main and either replace the valve if you want to keep them for future use OR remove the valve and install caps. With the water off at the main, you should be able to drain the water out of the plumbing system enough so that it doesn't drip and the connection can be soldered.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!