+ Reply to Thread

Default replacing boiler pump

I just had the service guy quote me over $700 to replace my leaking boiler pump. I need to do this myself, and the service guy was good enough to walk me through the procedure. I feel confident about doing the work, but less so about choosing the right pump. The current pump is a B&G series 100, 1/12 hp, 115 v, 1" flange. I've priced some pumps, and it seems I could save money (important right now) by replacing with a Taco pump. I'm just not sure what the critical specifications are to choose the right one. The boiler is in a one story house. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Default Re: replacing boiler pump

Yes, this is widely done by replacing the B&G Series 100 with a Taco 007, which goes for ~$75.

Look in the Yellow Pages under "Heating Equipment- Supplies" for heating supply houses in your area.

The price should be close to what was quoted, otherwise, move on to the next supplier.

Many Home Depot and Lowes stores also carry this pump, but may charge more.

The specs for a single family home, as you describe should fall well within the parameters of the pump, which is 12' of head and 20 gpm.

Tell the counterman at the heating supply store what you intend to do & he should be able to fix you up with the proper flanges, etc.

They will need the outside diameter of the pipe that the current pump is attached to (usually 1" or 1 1/4").

You may have to do some soldering if you have to install a new flange attachment to the pipe, but it is usually not necessary.

You would have to know how to 1) shut off the electrical switch to the boiler & shut off the incoming water supply; 2) drain some water from the bottom boiler drain faucet; 3) disconnect the electrical wiring from the old pump; 4) remove the bolts from the flange housing; 5) remove the old pump; 6) install the new pump & connect the flange, flange bolts & wiring; 7) refill the boiler by turning on the water supply valve until you get 12 psi on the pressure gauge; 8) restart the boiler & check for leaks; 9) bleed the air valves for any air that has accumulated in the system.

Please post back if you need further help with the procedure.

http://forum.doityourself.com/archiv.../t-159074.html
    http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=486
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 11-03-2007 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks, that's helpful information. Confirms what I thought needed doing. The service guy seemed to be saying that the hp was important. Does the hp of the new pump need to be the same?

Check with the counterman at the heating supply house on the hp.

The hp on the Taco 007 is 1/25 hp; my catalog lists the B&G replacement at about the same hp.

Also check the B&G website for hp on the Series 100.

The B&G hp should also be stamped on the id tag on the housing of the pump.

http://www.bellgossett.com
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 11-03-2007 at 06:47 PM.

The service guy said my B&G is 1/12 hp. Do you know if the 1/25 hp Taco will work?
    Last edited by jkrena; 11-03-2007 at 10:26 PM. Reason: typo

I'm not going to guarantee that the Taco 007 will work completely trouble-free on your system--that would depend on the number of feet of baseboard or cast iron rads you have, the diameter of the supply and return piping, the amount of water in gallons in your system, the heat output rating of the boiler, etc.,etc.

The Taco site has a formula to calculate these factors in their "frequently asked questions" section.

Click onto "support" once you get to the site.

If your boiler is under 130,000 btu/hr output, and the supply return pipes near the boiler are 1" or 1 1/4" then the Taco 007 will probably work for you.

If you still need assurance, contact the Taco technical staff at (401) 942-8000 (ask for the technical staff when the receptionist answers the phone).

Sorry, I don't have an 800 number; Taco is in R.I.

If you call, have ready all the above data on size of boiler, total footage of your convectors, diameter of the supply/return piping.

Or you can e-mail them
    via the website & ask for technical assistance.

http://www.taco-hvac.com
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 11-04-2007 at 08:26 AM.

Thanks a lot. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I talked to a couple of guys who service boilers. They both said that the Taco 007 would be a good fit for my system. I found the pump locally. I installed the pump, bled the radiators, and everything appears to be working properly. The house is warm and we still have $600 to spend on the next thing that breaks.
    Thank you all for taking the time to help.