+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question plaster cover up

What are your thoughts on drywalling over plaster? I must tell you that the walls sound no bulges or loose plaster to deal with. Just want a fresh slate to start over with. This house is 107 years old. Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks.

Default Re: plaster cover up

IMHO there is no way that drywall could ever be cosidered an improvement over paster.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Try bonding the walls and reskimming them with plaster.

Smile Re: plaster cover up

This sounds like the best of both worlds. Thanks!

We advocate saving the original plaster in place, rather than removing and replacing itónothing you can replace it with is as good, or better, than the original. Skim coating it is a temporary solution at best. Your fresh slate will be old in five years while the original plaster will still be in great shape.

PlasterMaestro
    Then you agree with my advice?

Similar to this post, I have an associated question. I have a plaster ceiling in a third story condo which has radiant heat coils imbedded in the plaster which no longer work.

I have been thinking of tearing everything down, re-insulating, putting in recessed lighting and putting up wall board. Am I heading for a nightmare of a project?

The other option is to put in recessed lighting and skim coat.

Is keeping the plaster that much better than wallboard?

Plaster is stronger than drywall and deadens sound better.But Plaster Maestro might be able to tell ya better.

Plaster is MUCH better than wallboard. Ask any Real Estate agent if a house with plaster walls is more valuable than sheetrock walls. You know what the answer will be. Perhaps you can install the lighting without re-skimming the plaster? Without ripping it down and starting over you will always be left with a not perfect situation. Since the condo plaster is not of historic value (an assumption on my part) the "best" solution may in fact be to demo the ceiling and do it over to your own specifications. Again plaster is better than sheetrock. As an alternative in new work you could install a new ceiling of veneer plaster. The ease of sheetrock with the "appearance" of plaster. While this is a good finish it is in every sense a veneer. This would cost some change...Good luck

If the radiant heat coils are electric and no longer connected or copper with no water it should be quite easy to cut through them when you cut holes for recessed lights. That would be the way I would do it rather than tear down a plaster ceiling.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb