+ Reply to Thread

Thread: particle board

Default particle board

Can you paint or stain particle board?

Default Re: particle board

paint yes, stain I don't think so. Can't say I tried to though.

Paint - yes, stain - yes. Both will look like particle board with paint or stain on it. You will probably get the best results from paint because you can prep, prime, and paint multiple coats that will eventually hide the fact that it's particle board. Stain will always allow the particle board to show through, not necessarily a bad thing, just a forewarning.

A. Spruce is right! You'll be surprised at how much teh grain jumps up on the first coat! I'll bet it will be really rough and you'll have to sand (painted or stained!) prior to the next coat. I've actually seen soem really nice stained particle board stuff... as long as it fits the decor! Also, it's a good thing to do if there's a chance ANY moisture will get on the material (whether this is a floor or a piece of furniture). Unfinished particle board that gets water on it is very bad! Good luck!

Particle board can be stained. It takes on the look of cork. I prefer an oil based stain as water based products tend to pucker the surface. I couple good coats of varnish will keep it looking good. Once again, I prefer an oil based varnish to water based.