+ Reply to Thread

Default Indirects or Turbomax - Any Experiences?

I have been reading a multitude of info regarding indirect hot water heaters installed in conjunction with oil fired boilers.

i have the same type of questions as to which indirects are good options but additionally, to add to the mix of products, i ran across a tank made by thermo 2000 called turbomax. it is suppose to be an indirect tank that works kind of like a tankless coil, only bigger. they claim better performance and faster recovery than indirect storage tanks while allowing the use of a smaller tank size.

i like the numbers and the rep i spoke to has a good technical background with real world calculations being done to figure out the correct application.

i wondered if anyone had any actual experience with these units and what their opinions might be. longevity is always something to consider but without first hand knowledge, it's hard to get info.

Additionally, i have gotten info on indirects such as peerless partner, phase 3, crown mega store and the superstor. all viable options.

thanks for any help.

Incidentally, i am looking to pair the tank with a new yorker boiler, circa 1980 which will no longer use the built in tankless coil.

Default Re: Indirects or Turbomax - Any Experiences?

I don't have any experience with the Turbomax, but I highly recommend the other indirects you mention, especially the Triangle Tube Phase III.

The Weil-Mclain unit is also a Triangle Tube III with a WM nametag on it.

Crown Megastor is also good, Buderus, Burnham,Viessmann.

They run around $700, but are well worth it, IMHO.

A slight downside is that you no doubt have a triple aquastat on your boiler now, if you've been using a tankless coil.

You'll waste a few gallons of oil in the summer, since the boiler will continue to assume that the tankless coil is still connected.

In other words, it won't be a "cold start" boiler, since it will still fire at low limit, assuming the tankless coil is still connected, even in the summer.

Some technicians will put in a new Aquastat that will allow cold start, but most technicians frown on converting this type of boiler to "cold start" because rust & corrosion usually sets in.
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 11-02-2007 at 02:13 PM.

for sure the new yorker doesn't like cold start - as i have experienced when it was shut off for about week.

i will take the tankless coil out of the loop so what would you recommend to accommodate this and of course including the new tank set up as its own zone and utilizing a new circulator?

i am anticipating adding a mixing valve and some type of domestic water priority control.
    Last edited by PTN; 11-05-2007 at 08:14 AM.

anyone else?

i have 133K net from my oil fired boiler - baseboard heat.

i would like to simultaneously run two showers or a shower and draw a bath. The house also has a dishwasher and a clothes washer.