+ Reply to Thread

Thumbs up beadboard vs drywall for ceilings

Hi,
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of using beadboard for ceilings in construction vs drywall?

Tx Mauinurse
    Last edited by mauinurse; 11-01-2007 at 03:27 PM. Reason: spacing error

Default Re: beadboard vs drywall for ceilings

I can't think of any structural problems with using beadboard. I think it's mostly preference on your part. Some cautions I'd be aware of using beadboard: 1) It's thinner and less dense than drywall so if it's not adequately secured, I'll bet you'll hear "rattling" if soemone upstairs is walking or jumping loudly, 2) I think it will look wierd (Unless that's the decor look you're going for).

Quote Originally Posted by mauinurse View Post
    Hi,
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of using beadboard for ceilings in construction vs drywall?

Tx Mauinurse
    None that I can think of. Its just a matter of preferance. What disadvantage were you thinking about? For that matter...what advantages were you thinking about? I can't think of one for either.
    Only advantage for me would be its nicer putting up bead board.I put up some 3/4" not long ago. Its a whole lot faste than rock but that wasn't the consideration.
    Weird question...lol
    Hidden Content
    ॐשָׁלו

Exclamation Re: beadboard vs drywall for ceilings

I agree with Dwarfwytch. I had worked in construction for a number of years as a drywall installer and finisher. Beadboard is not rated as a fire retarding material. The best way to install would be to use fire rated drywall which is available in 1/2" and 5/8" thicknesses (5/8" giving the best rating, eventhough it is a bit heavier).

After you install the drywall, tape the joints and fill the screw holes. Then when that is dry you can install the beadboard (just be sure that the joints on the beadboard do not line up with those on the drywall.

Not only would this give you a fire rated ceiling, but will help quiet noise from the floor above, especially if a sound deadening material has been installed before the drywall.

Red face Re: beadboard vs drywall for ceilings

Quote Originally Posted by mauinurse View Post
    Hi,

Tx Mauinurse
    Drywall ceilings are inexpensive, but they can sag and support mold growth, and they're less effective for soundproofing than other options. If you're working in a basement, then a drywall ceiling will restrict access to pipes, ducts and wires as well. It's also a messy, dusty installation.

~Jacques
    http://www.totalbasementfinishing.co...nt-ceiling.php

The only disadvantage I can see is the fire rating.

I have seen a few houses that have been treated this way. It was popular in certain house styles and can simulate a much older house style.

I think the aesthetics of this on the ceiling versus drywall would be my biggest pro, second would be ease of installation but you have to consider safety above all any advantages.
    Debby in Oklahoma

Wink Re: beadboard vs drywall for ceilings

Hey... My husband did this. We just couldnt do more dry wall repair in our last OLD house. So, he did beadboard ( not the sheets...individual ones ) and then poly'd it. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL!
    Good Luck... and PS...it doesnt look weird and we never heard any "sounds"
    va nurse