+ Reply to Thread

Default Checking and cleaning vents

Hi all, I'm new here, and have a few questions about my 32 year old home.
    It is a tri level with basement, brick on the bottom, siding on top.

Last winter, we noticed that the vents at the top level were not producing heat. Although heat is suppose to rise, the top floor was the coldest of them all. Someone had mentioned that I should check the vents on the roof. If they are clogged, they may be causing the problem. How would I go about doing that? What would I need to clean them? When we moved in a year and a half ago, We did have all the ducts cleaned, and furnace serviced. So all that is working great. Just not sure why the heat is so week in the bedrooms.

Second, there is a vent hood above the stove. There is tons of cold air that just pours out of this hood. The fan does not work, and someone taped over the front part of the hood to prevent cold air on their face while standing at the stove. Is there a way to close this vent to prevent such massive amounts of cold air from flooding our kitchen?

Default Re: Checking and cleaning vents

Last winter, we noticed that the vents at the top level were not producing heat
    Is there no heated air at all ?
    It's possible there may be a damper closed preventing heated air to the ducts.
    Or the ducts to the upper level may have become disconnected .

Someone had mentioned that I should check the vents on the roof. If they are clogged, they may be causing the problem.
    These have nothing to do with your heating system. They are just for ventilating the attic.

Second, there is a vent hood above the stove. There is tons of cold air that just pours out of this hood. The fan does not work, and someone taped over the front part of the hood to prevent cold air on their face while standing at the stove. Is there a way to close this vent to prevent such massive amounts of cold air from flooding our kitchen?
    As a temporary measure stuff insulation into the duct and cover the opening with a metal blank. Apply caulking to the back side of the metal blank as a seal before securing with crews. This will help until you decide what will be done with this vent.

Hopefully this helps.

Default Re: Checking and cleaning vents

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Is there no heated air at all ?
    It's possible there may be a damper closed preventing heated air to the ducts.
    Or the ducts to the upper level may have become disconnected .

These have nothing to do with your heating system. They are just for ventilating the attic.

As a temporary measure stuff insulation into the duct and cover the opening with a metal blank. Apply caulking to the back side of the metal blank as a seal before securing with crews. This will help until you decide what will be done with this vent.

Hopefully this helps.
    There is heat in the bedroom, but little of it. Same with the AC in the summer. The dampers are wide open, and as far as I know, everything is connected. The vents were cleaned 1 1/2 years ago upon moving into the house. I would have hoped they would tell me if they found something wrong.

In an effort to redirect more heat to this room, I have closed off the vents to the room directly below (which is an office) and usually warm from too much hot air. This made no difference in the amount of air upstairs.

For the vent hood. I think I will stick something in there and try to close it up for this winter. We don't have much money to do things with right now, but next spring can try to see what needs to be replaced.