+ Reply to Thread

Default hot water tank / boiler venting

i have a hot water tank for hot water, and a boiler for heating base board heat , the problem im haveing is venting them out,it goes from a 3" line to a 5" after the t from the boiler, is there a way to help get the hot air out , from time to time it trips the C/O sensor on the boiler. help here is a pic of the system .

thanks for any help

Last edited by nynhhrxr; 10-31-2007 at 05:32 PM. Reason: added another picture

Default Re: hot water tank / boiler venting

Quote Originally Posted by nynhhrxr View Post
    i have a hot water tank for hot water, and a boiler for heating base board heat , the problem im haveing is venting them out,it goes from a 3" line to a 5" after the t from the boiler, is there a way to help get the hot air out , from time to time it trips the C/O sensor on the boiler. help here is a pic of the system .

thanks for any help

nynhhrxr:

When you talk about the 3" pipe going to a 5" pipe I assume you're referring to the flue smokestack exhaust pipe going into the chimney.

Smoke and carbon monoxide backing up is an indication that there is a a soot blockage either in the boiler heat exchanger, the flue pipe or the chimney.

Has the system had its required annual cleaning yet???

Do you ordinarily clean it yourself each year, or have a service tech come in and do it???

The system should be cleaned as soon as possible to prevent a complete stoppage and more CO from getting into the boiler room & rest of the house.

You should call a service man right away.

If you want to learn how to clean it yourself, I can take you thru the steps.

Please post back.
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 10-31-2007 at 05:57 PM.

no haven had it cleaned , might be a big part of the problem ,. i will probel have someone do it the frist time then do it my self,i dont have a chimney it is vented right out side of the concrete wall.

Quote Originally Posted by JacktheShack View Post
    nynhhrxr:

When you talk about the 3" pipe going to a 5" pipe I assume you're referring to the flue smokestack exhaust pipe going into the chimney.

Smoke and carbon monoxide backing up is an indication that there is a a soot blockage either in the boiler heat exchanger, the flue pipe or the chimney.

Has the system had its required annual cleaning yet???

Do you ordinarily clean it yourself each year, or have a service tech come in and do it???

The system should be cleaned as soon as possible to prevent a complete stoppage and more CO from getting into the boiler room & rest of the house.

Please post back.

Quote Originally Posted by nynhhrxr View Post
    no haven had it cleaned , might be a big part of the problem ,. i will probel have someone do it the frist time then do it my self,i dont have a chimney it is vented right out side of the concrete wall.
    Yes, that might be best.

The cleaning should include a vacuum job of the boiler combustion chamber, the heat exchanger, and the flue pipes.

Is the system gas-fired or oil-fired???

That looks like a gas pipe in the photos.

If it's oil-fired, the cleaning should also include a new nozzle, new pump strainer, and new oil filter.

Most service techs don't mind showing you how to exchange these parts and clean the system.

You're wasting a lot of fuel by having a separate HWH.

They sell what's called an indirect HWH by Triangle Tube or Crown for ~$700 that heats the domestic hot water using the boiler water, so it doesn't burn any fuel on its own.
    Strongly recommended.

Wal-Mart sells a small Shop-Vac that can be used for the annual cleaning.
    Last edited by JacktheShack; 10-31-2007 at 06:57 PM.

glad ya can see so much from the photo. i live in ct the job was done a few years ago by a so called profession.he had done 4-5 other units in the complex, i learned after he did it , that he screwed up others too.and to me being a carpenter i thoght it was right till then.
    so after the tee the pitch should be more on a rise,the tape i added , the connection is tight i did that as an extra tape.
    dont know what type of venting he used more then likey tis wrong too .
    i belive the wire spliceing ya seeing in the back on the wall is the the zone controls.
    the basement/ garge gets a little warmer when the systems are on.

the gas line is about 8" away from both the top ad the flue , the gas compancy had looked at it and didnt say anything about it, i had asked them when they looked at the system.

if it was up to me i would really have the whole thing redone, and run a new flue for the wh and the dwh on its own flue going out the whole in the wall.and have everything made the way a real profession would do.
    wheres roger when ya need him,

i doubt the connections are tight i notice the increaser fitting for the wh is backwards....y wasnt this inspected??

the increaser fitting is that the vent pipe or a copper pipe?

the system was checked by the local gas compancy and they said there was nothing wrong with the way it was done.from what i am hearing here it is all wrong and cant wait to get it fixed right.
    thanks to all who responed all edvice well taken. hope next time i wont be taken advanage of..
    micahel