+ Reply to Thread

Default intumescent paint

I recently painted a small section of exposed woodwork with intumescent paint using a brush; the finished product was streaky and unattractive. The woodwork is a common area of a multi-family dwelling and is required to be fire rated. Any suggestions on how to apply the coating so the finish is attractive would be greatly appreciated. The manufacturer was of no assistance.

Default Re: intumescent paint

Streaks generally mean 1)you used the wrong type of brush 2)you applied coat to thick 3)the paint is incompatable with existing finish and is floating on the surface or 4)you need to sand lightly and add a second coat because it is not one coat paint.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 10-31-2007 at 07:09 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: intumescent paint

Guys, I believe I mixed the paint rather well, the molding and wainscot is new, I sanded the woodwork with a 120 then 200 grit sandpaper, after sanding the woodwork was vacuumed and lightly wiped with a damp rag, the brush was recommended by the retail store that sold me the intumescent coating. The paint is just so thick that it does not flow onto the woodwork like a good quality latex paint.

Thanks, I appreciate the input.