+ Reply to Thread

Default Pulled baseboards, feeling draft

Hi, I'm new to these forums and was hoping someone here would be able to help me. We're first time homeowners and like doing things ourselves. We pulled up the baseboards in the living room and dining room so we could lay engineered wood flooring and noticed between the slab and the studs there is a pretty good draft coming in. Will putting the baseboards back up be enough to stop the draft or should we go ahead and fill the space with some insulation (suggestions, please) before we put the baseboards back on? We're almost done with the floors, so if we're going to insulate we'll need to do it in the next couple of days.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Default Re: Pulled baseboards, feeling draft

Thanks for taking the time to try to help! Sorry for the vagueness, I didn't know how much I didn't know, lol. We're in Charlotte, NC and our house is 18 years old, we just bought it 3wks ago.

the presence or lack thereof of some type of isolation between the wall plate/sill and your slab

I'm not sure about this, I'll check when we go out to the house later today, but I think the framing sits directly on the slab.

if there is any insulation in the exterior walls

There is a plastic (I'm assuming the vapor barrier) and insulation- fiberglass I think, it's a tannish color and hangs down a bit from behind the drywall.

what that interior wall surface is,

They're drywall

type of construction (stick, masonry, for example)

Stick

and the sheething/surface of your exterior walls

There's vinyl siding, but I'm not sure what's under the siding.

presence of any slab foundation insulation

How would I find this out?

We've left about a 1/4 to 1/2 space around the perimeter between the wall sill and the floors, so if there needs to be a space between the floors and the insulation I'm not sure there's enough to work with. I guess I was thinking the insulation would move with the flooring.

I'm wondering if maybe just sticking the baseboards back on rather than risking making problems where none existed before might be a better idea. I am glad I asked though, because DH and I were thinking we could just put some of the expansion foam back there and be done with it.

Thank you again for taking the time to help and let me know if you need more information!