+ Reply to Thread

Default Replacing recessed light with pendant

I have a recessed light in my kitchen that the wife wants replaced with a pendant light. It is on the first story of a two story home, so I have no way to get to the recessed fixture other than from the drywall side.

Any ideas on how to get the recessed fixture out and a box installed? The drywall ceiling has a knockdown texture and is kind of hard to patch and match, so a method that doesn't involve cutting the drywall would be helpful.

Default Re: Replacing recessed light with pendant

The National Electrical Code requires that all electrical junction boxes are accessible without removing the building structure.

The housing for the lamp is removable, pull it down and you will find a juction box next to the opening where the building wire feeds the fixture above the ceiling. If you completly remove the fixture you will need to check if the building wire will meet the length required to feed your new junction box location.

One option might be to buy a ceiling medallion like the one shown above. Cut out the center and either mount a box to it or use a box with an expandable bar hanger that expands between the joists in the existing opening and feed the new box from the existing box which is part of your fixture, fasten the medallion over the opening and hang your pendant.

Default Re: Replacing recessed light with pendant

Perfect solution.

www.worthhomeproducts.com

Screws in to your existing recessed lighting and converts it to a pendant light. No fuss, no muss.