+ Reply to Thread

Default Wall repair and mold

I live in an old Brooklyn brownstone. Interior walls are lathe and plaster, exterior ? and masonry. Several years ago, after a snow storm, one of the downspouts clogged and the melt accumulating on the roof must have rose above the flashing. I ended up with a waterfall on a section of bedroom wall. The repair wasn't done very well and now I have paint peeling back, cracks and some kind of white mold growing under the lifting paint chips.

I don't trust the landlord's hired help and would like to do it myself the correct way. It's just two small sections of an outer wall with a window and separated from the rest of that wall by a break formed by the chimney stack:

14" x 112" and 12" x 57"

I've rapped my knuckles on the wall in several spots and it all feels solid, like concrete. I assume that I only need to remove paint and plaster and not go down to the brick. Once I remove all loose paint and plaster, any special treatment for mold? Bleach? What would you recommend for filling any holes and smoothing the surface? Does it make a difference that it is an outside wall? What about primer and any other prepping considerations before painting? Recommendations?

Thanks.

Default Re: Wall repair and mold

I've attached a photo of the "mold" beneath the paint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	341