+ Reply to Thread

Default how do you rewire chandelier arms?!!!

Hi........

Has anyone here ever rewired a chandelier? I am wanting to do that to 2 chandeliers, but I can't seem to get the old wires out of the arms. What is the secret? And what is the secret to getting the new wires in? If the old wires would come out easily, I could just attach the new ones to the old and pull them through. No matter how hard I pull, the old wires just won't come out.
    peace,
    Sophie

Default Re: how do you rewire chandelier arms?!!!

Ok this may sound a bit strange but it worked for us,
    after removing the old cloth wires from a vintage spanish brass chandelier we tried many options to rewire. Because of a double fixture on an S curve all gages of wire just kept getting stuck.
    Until we discovered a trick. Using upholstery thread, strong twine and a vacuum cleaner and some tubing. We attached progressively smaller diameter tubing to the business end of the vacuum cleaner hose using tape to create a good seal and a hose diameter that fit snugly on the fixture adapter of the chandelier. turing on the vacuum we fed the thread through the arm then attached heavy twine to the thread and the wires to the thread! It took a while to figure it out but once it all gelled each wiring took minutes and a lot less sweat than trying to force the wire through the arm.

Aleywd,

***! That sounds like it might work for me. I'll have to give it a try. Unfortunately, I have another problem with those chandelier arms. I have a couple of them where the wire broke as we were trying to pull them out. Any suggestions on how to get them out?!!!!!
    peace,
    Sophie

Quote Originally Posted by aleywd View Post
    Ok this may sound a bit strange but it worked for us,
    after removing the old cloth wires from a vintage spanish brass chandelier we tried many options to rewire. Because of a double fixture on an S curve all gages of wire just kept getting stuck.
    Until we discovered a trick. Using upholstery thread, strong twine and a vacuum cleaner and some tubing. We attached progressively smaller diameter tubing to the business end of the vacuum cleaner hose using tape to create a good seal and a hose diameter that fit snugly on the fixture adapter of the chandelier. turing on the vacuum we fed the thread through the arm then attached heavy twine to the thread and the wires to the thread! It took a while to figure it out but once it all gelled each wiring took minutes and a lot less sweat than trying to force the wire through the arm.
    To digress to a degree, shop vacs & twine, {with or without a balloon** will do the same while working with PVC.
    The idea sounds like a winner, good luck !!!