+ Reply to Thread

Default Finish coat on plaster coming off when removing wallpaper

I have recently begun removing painted wallpaper off my plaster walls from a 1895 home.

I have noticed that the finish coat (at least what I think is the finish coat) becomes extremely soft and is easily removed. I scrubbed an area and the finish coat came right off. The coat is strong and hard when dry.

A description of the walls from the surface to the back of the wall:
    two layers of paint, a layer of wallpaper, a layer of paint and a layer of wallpaper with brown backing, a beige plaster "finish coat" (see above ~1/16 of an inch), gray sandy plaster (~1/4 inch) and lath.

My questions is:
    Is this normal and what should I do - should I remove the "finish coat" to sandy layer and replace it?

Default Re: Finish coat on plaster coming off when removing wallpaper

Here are some pictures:
    The green strip in the first picture is where the moulding was that I removed and had no skim/finish coat. The material is the hard sandy painted layer (base coat).

The second picture shows a crossection of the plaster. The top layer is wallpaper with brown paper backing, then the questionable skim/finish that becomes soft with water and then the painted sandy base.

Is this a finish coat or was there never a finish coat? How do I prep the base coat and/or the finish coat to smooth out the wall (bonding agent?).

Please help.

Sorry I posted on two threads. I'm trying to get this room done by Thanksgiving.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002_resize.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	338   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004_revis.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	339  

Default Re: Finish coat on plaster coming off when removing wallpaper

I have a resin based plaster product that will adhere to the existing lath, bond to remaining surrounding plaster, and is easily worked to the same level of surrounding plaster. It is sandable, and water resistant. This product can be used to skim coat plaster walls. It also adheres to wood, tile, glass, concrete. Please email bjmten@gmail.com
    Brian