+ Reply to Thread

Question GREEN Basement Flooring

In the middle of replacing a basement floor--we got the Advantech sublooring installed (it is good with moisture and is formaldhyde free) and cracks around perimeter filled with 'Great Stuff'--

We learned that the beautiful vinyl sheeting we had chosen is one of the worst materials because it gives off DIOXIN, a serious carcinogenic gas, in not only manufacturing, but also in VOC's and when burned--Heaven forbid!

Vinyl sheeting seemed ideal because it can be installed almost seamlessly and we need a material that will stand up to pets, i;e; moisture on top, and basements -moisture below- as well as be durable and easier under foot than cement.

What ideas do you have??

Worthington, Ohio

Default Re: GREEN Basement Flooring

bumpsey, the first thing that I would do is to remove the foam from the cracks around the perimeter of your subfloor because you want to allow the air space underneath the subfloor to breath and dry out with a good chance that there will be some kind of moisture build up. Althought the product you chose claims to moisture resistant, There is nothing on the product to protect it from long term moisture effects. A better system would have been a product like Dricore Subfloor systems (http://www.dricore.com/). They have plastic sheeting and feet on the underside of the panels to protect the wood from any moisture coming up from the slab.

As for actual finish materials, Petroleums, Linoleum or carpet tiles would be a good option. The only thing is you will not want to install a carpet pad in the basement because that will be a great food source for mold in the basement.

I hope that helps!