+ Reply to Thread

Default Are condensation problems and insulation related?

This is my third winter in our 1956 ranch home in Lawrence, KS. The first really cold day of each year I wake up to all my windows being fogged over on the inside, and condensation (wet spots) on the ceilings of several rooms where the ceiling and exterior walls meet. My attic is very hot in the summer and has very little insulation (blown in paper)without a vapor barrier. My main question is if the current insulation needs to be shoveled out and replaced with a lot more insulation with a vapor barrier. Or is there something else that is causing my problems?

Default Re: Are condensation problems and insulation related?

I have a gas furnace in my crawl space. The furnace was on a few times this year before this dew started, but the temperature was not below 40 degrees. I noticed a few wet spots on my ceiling this morning, but they are not as bad as last week when the first really first cold day hit. I have all my windows shut during the day and night. Once the temperature outside remains colder (high of 45 or less), the wet spots become less and less.