+ Reply to Thread

Default location of bifold pulls

Okay, this is a first for me but I have had a house recently renovated and brand new bifold closet doors installed throughout. They are two panel bifolds and all the pulls have been placed on the left hand panel toward the center of both of them. I find this awkward, and when I asked why they were not on the right hand panel, I was told that this is the way they are doing them now??? Every photo I see of closets however, have them on the right panel. Can they be switched and the holes patched and painted? The doors are white.

Default Re: location of bifold pulls

You may put the pulls wherever you like, however the customary position is in the center of the panel of the two middle panels, assuming this is a 4 panel door. This image is an example of what I am describing.

If you need or want to relocate the existing handles elsewhere, yes you can simply move the pulls fill the holes and touch up the paint.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. Strangely however, I have been advised by the supplier for the closets that my warrenty will be void if I move the pulls to the correct location as shown in the image. Apparently, the "newest" thing is to put them on the same panel as the bracket that holds it because it puts too much strain on the screw or something. If it drives me crazy however, I'll move it whereever it works for me.

You need to weigh the duration of the warranty (as well as it's coverage ) against how long you think the door will last with the pulls in the "wrong" place and how the aesthetics and functionality affects you.

Odds are, the warranty is one year or less, even if there is a failure during that time period, most warranties are hard to collect on and don't cover labor or costs outside of the door "slab" itself, let alone your time and hassles of getting the replacement. Bifold doors aren't generally that expensive to begin with, so I'd recommend installing the pulls as you see fit, forget about the warranty, and enjoy the doors the way they should be, with the pulls on the center panels.

One last thing, before redrilling the doors to move the knobs, try relocating the pivot point hardware with the center guide hardware. All of the bifolds that I've installed had identical holes on the corners of both of the panels, which means you won't have any patching or repainting to do if the hardware can be swapped. Merely swap the hardware and switch the doors and their respective sides.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 10-29-2007 at 12:28 AM.