+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered Guest

Question Pocket doors/bats in walls

We have two separate sets of pocket doors, one double-set between our front living room and dining room one single pocket door between our entryway and family room. When we first moved into our old house 6 years ago, the previous owner didn't let us know about the bats!!! Long story short, 8 or so bats later, we *think* they were entering under a soffit outside, shimmying through the walls and exiting into the living space through the pocket door openings. I get goosebumps just thinking about it. Anyways, we ended up using one of those window sealer kits (clear plastic with two sided tape, etc. that you heat up with the hairdryer) to seal off the openings around the pocket doors. We have since gotten a new roof and are told that all is sealed up tight outside so hopefully we don't have this problem anymore. I would like to remove the ugly plastic and actually use the doors now - any advice on how we could seal the interior of the walls surrounding the doors (just in case!), without ruining the function of the doors? Both sets of doors work beautifully (when not sealed in plastic!).

Default Re: Pocket doors/bats in walls

Chances are those walls are open all the way to the attic. This allows the bats to come down the wall and acts like a chimney to steal your heat. I would start by covering the openings at the top with ample fiberglass insulation.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb