+ Reply to Thread

Default Free home inventory software

Here is a link to a really good FREE software program you can download from the Insurance Information Institute. It is very detailed and easy to use. After the 2003 Firestorm in San Diego we used it to inventory our house. Boy were we glad we had it when we evacuated this week!

http://www.iii.org/media/publication.../homeinventory

Thumbs up Free home inventory - ****** service

I recently bought a new condo in Toronto's (Canada) hot market. I was eager to make an inventory of all my stuff -- to make the most of my new property insurance. I downloaded and tried I.I.I. Home Inventory Software as recommended by the previous poster.

What I don't like about the software is:
    • If my computer burns or is stolen, my inventory list is gone
    • To be safe, you have to pay to have your inventory list stored safely off your computer
    • I have to take pictures of each thing in my house and attach them to the item description (what a long process!)

My friends on Facebook started to use a free Internet service called Namminik at http://www.namminik.com.

What's cool is that it automatically fills in the picture when I add stuff like my DVDs, my books, and electronics. A real time saver! It's like magic.

The Web site never asked me for my home address, so I know they don't know where I live.

It can also print a report with all my stuff I entered and their value... which I can give to my insurance company if anything happens.
    Last edited by zrephel; 01-15-2008 at 03:40 PM.

Default Re: Free home inventory software

From the way I understand it the III software allows you to save your list to a disk or removable media. .... it doesn't have to be on your computer permanently.

The other method "Vault Secure Swiss Databank seems to be optional.... by signing up with a third party.