Name:	100_1857.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	308

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1859.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	309I am trying to figure out the best way to fix a drywall "issue" I have. I am partially redoing a closet. There was water damage to the upper half of the closet. The person I hired to help me fix it is a drywall spe******t. The original closet is plaster. He told me if I took out the wall from the shelf support to the ceiling, including the ceiling, that he could drywall the top half and make it look like new. I ripped all that out but the shelf support and the lower half of the wall. He did his job, mostly. He left a gap between the plaster and the drywall that ranges from 1/2" to 1". Most of it runs right along the shelf support. I need to find a good way to fix this so I can still use the shelf. I have tried a few things but not much has worked. The person I hired was a friend, about every two to three months he leaves me a message to tell me he figured out how to make it right, when I call him back he never answers.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 10-23-2007 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Adding

Default Re: Drywall Disasters

I wasn't able to really tell from the picture, is the new drywall flush with the shelf support? Is that what is keeping you from using the shelf support?

It is flush with the plaster, then the support sticks out from there.

I have tried compounds, they have dried up and fallen inside the wall. I tried to cover the space with tape, that is too flimsey. I tried to use a plastic strip, the shelves would not fit back on.

"The person I hired to help me fix it is a drywall spe******t."

I beg to differ.

If the shelf support rail doesn't HAVE to be exactly where it is now.......and is currently over the plaster...remove it and install one that's wider so that it covers the gap......or just move the current one up higher on the wall.

If you don't wish to remove it and the shelf can move up a bit higher...just add a piece of rabbeted thicker wood to cover the gap. If the wall has waves in it (probably does), caulk any resulting gaps along the top edge of the added piece.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_098.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.4 KB 
ID:	311  
    Last edited by goldhiller; 10-23-2007 at 09:27 PM.