I'm about to cut a large hole in the ceiling of my kitchen to repair / replace the leaking drain in the bathroom shower above it (another project in itself).

The current ceiling is drywall, with a popcorn finish. I'm not all that fond of popcorn, but it matches the rest of that level of the house (though the kitchen ceiling is isolated). I have VERY little confidence that I can reproduce the texture effect accurately, so the repair would show. I'm considering alternative finishes.

I'm solicitings ideas (or locations for ideas) on ceiling finishes for the kitchen. We have oak floors, oak cabinets (of builder grade), builder grade formica counter tops and an off-white paint color (that might be changed "while we're at it.")

As an aside, since that would require redoing the entire kitchen ceiling, we thought "While we're at it, we might as well deal with our lighting issues". A single 3' flourescent fixture lights the kitchen, which places the light at the back of anyone working at the sink, stove or counter. Some task lighting will be added and maybe some undercabinet lighting as well.