+ Reply to Thread

Default Wallcovering vs Wallpaper

Hello everyone, I'm happy to be a new member to TOH forum.I'm sure this place will lend itself to a wealth of professional information.
    Most people think of Wallpaper as the stuff with fruit,plaid,stripes,farm animals,etc. your mom use to attempt to slap on the wall.(which reminds me of the job my mom did for my Aunts kitchen where she hung a strip of fruit baskets upside down and relentlessly told me not to say anything everytime we went to visit)But my have times changed.
    I graduated from a trade school in the Painting & Wallpapering field,not by choice though(it's where all the girls were,that was ahem!the incentive).I've had my share of hand brushing lumpy paste back and forth on some cheap tissue paper like stuff and attempting to smooth it out on a practice wall with to my surprise... success.

Well fast forward umpteen years later, I'm still in the business. Only now, things have gotten a bit more challenging.
    Oh,materials like:

Wood veneers
    Glass bead
    Mica
    Mother of Pearl
    Bamboo
    Silk

Each of these are Very high dollar as you can imagine...and Very high dollar to install I might add.
    So if anyone has any questions about techniques,adhesives,wall preparation...repeat WALL PREPARATION,i.e. how to's,primers,wall conditions, feel free to ask,I'll do my best to answer your specific situation.

Default Re: Wallcovering vs Wallpaper

Wall preparation? You need to prep the walls? ;-)

I remember every time they show the painters on TOH, he stresses preparation, preparation, preparation, and how that probably 75% or more of your time is used up getting to the point where you can start putting paint to the wall. I'm sure wallpaper is the same. Being that I removed the wallpaper in all but one room of my house within a month of moving in (still need to get to that last room), I don't need help in putting it up, BUT...

Any tips on removing wallpaper that has been plastered over? The previous owners spiffed up a bathroom by doing a knockdown coat and paint over at least one layer of wallpaper. Removing the paper isn't an issue (I still have a steamer, scorer, and can get chemicals), but getting to that point is. If the plaster wasn't painted, I'd just water it down and sc**** it off, but the latex paint seems to make that impossible.

Woohoo! I made Member!
    Last edited by talonts; 06-04-2007 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Woohoo! I made Member!
    Tom Stangl
    Hidden Content
    Prius Visual FAQ Home
    Hidden Content
    DSM Visual FAQ home

Caveat: IANAC (I Am Not A Contractor) - I am simply a DIYer that tends to do a lot of research. Contact licensed Contractors/Architects/whatever for the final legal word on any advice.

Is the wallpaper under the paint sound? If it is,why not just float the walls out with joint compound to get rid of the
    texture.Or if the paper is a solid vinyl, start pulling a little to see if it takes the plaster with it.I've done a billion commercial jobs where some bonehead drywall guy would put a door in the middle of a wall and then mud over the vinyl and then we get called in to patch the wall with new vinyl so we just cut back the material and peel it off, taking the dried mud with it.

Quote Originally Posted by newenglanderinaz View Post
    Is the wallpaper under the paint sound? If it is,why not just float the walls out with joint compound to get rid of the
    texture.Or if the paper is a solid vinyl, start pulling a little to see if it takes the plaster with it.I've done a billion commercial jobs where some bonehead drywall guy would put a door in the middle of a wall and then mud over the vinyl and then we get called in to patch the wall with new vinyl so we just cut back the material and peel it off, taking the dried mud with it.
    The wallpaper seems to be sound (and vinyl, at least one layer), I had to cut the wallboard out a bit to replace a 1-gang box with a 2-gang when rewiring the WC for an exhaust fan/light (the PO had just used a 2-gang switch in the 1-gang box, but I was replacing all switches in the house with Decora type, and didn't want to use a double-Decora, but 2 separate Decoras). But we need to replace the shower, which is a sheet marble style, and when I do it, I was considering removing the knockdown and wallpaper, and repainting.

Would scoring the paint with a wallpaper scorer, then wetting down the walls make it easier to sc**** off the plaster before tackling the wallpaper? I'd rather remove the wallpaper before painting, so I don't see wallpaper joints (which you can see here or there through the plaster/paint now).

I'm kind of an overkill DIY - I'd rather get it down to the wallboard and start new (without having to remove all the wallboard), than add yet another layer to the pileup already on there (I could have painted over the wallpaper in the dining room, but I took the time to strip the paper/vinyl/paper 3-layer mess that was below the chair railing before painting when we moved in).
    Tom Stangl
    Hidden Content
    Prius Visual FAQ Home
    Hidden Content
    DSM Visual FAQ home

Caveat: IANAC (I Am Not A Contractor) - I am simply a DIYer that tends to do a lot of research. Contact licensed Contractors/Architects/whatever for the final legal word on any advice.

Boy! you have some work to do to get that paint off.
    By all means,I do not advocate burying the wc ever, but in this situation I would make an exception unless you have the time and patience.Steaming the paint might loosen it up a bit...certainly couldn't hurt.

Boy! you have some work to do to get that paint off.
    By all means,I do not advocate burying the wc ever, but in this situation I would make an exception unless you have the time and patience.Steaming the paint might loosen it up a bit...certainly couldn't hurt.
    I have the time, and patience ;-)

I have no problem doing single wall surfaces at a time. Since I have a wallpaper steamer, I guess I should just try it out in the WC, scoring the paint and steaming it, to see what happens. The worst that will happen is that it won't work, and I'll have to put some new knockdown plaster up, and repaint.

I wasn't counting on an easy solution to this one. Not after getting the wallpaper off the other walls.
    Tom Stangl
    Hidden Content
    Prius Visual FAQ Home
    Hidden Content
    DSM Visual FAQ home

I live in a 210 year old historical property in Western PA

So if anyone has any questions about techniques,adhesives,wall preparation...repeat WALL PREPARATION,i.e. how to's,primers,wall conditions, feel free to ask,I'll do my best to answer your specific situation.
    I will definitely take you up on this offer. I have some very nice Waverly Williamsburg floral pattern and striped wallpapers (vinyl?) that I will be putting into a bathroom that my father is helping us to remodel.

He's done a beautiful job: tiled the floor with the proper backer board (is that the correct term?) and has redone the walls for me as well with the appropriate waterproof wallboard (cement board? ...he knows all these proper products, thankfully). My job is the wallpaper so he can finish the shelving, cabinets, lower walls and plumbing (sink and toilet -- for a powder room). I have the easy job compared to the work he's been doing!

So, I basically have clean, mostly smooth wall surface to work with except for the joints that still need to be sanded. I'm pretty sure the paper is pre-pasted but I don't have a clue what I should be doing to start the process of hanging it. I did make sure to buy more than needed for the space and am comfortable matching the pattern once I understand the process.

We're papering the top portion of the room along 3 walls (one fairly narrow). The bottom of the wall is getting a beautiful wainscot paneling that I managed to get at a local architectural reclaimation business. So, I know I want to do the paper first as the top of the wainscot should cover the bottom edge of the paper.

Of course, this is in a 210 year old house and the floor above is wide hickory or oak plank -- hence my ceiling line along the top of the wall is not straight -- at all! I'm hoping to put a nice, not too wide, crown molding up to echo the wainscot.

Any tips gratefully appreciated (was that clear as mud, what I'm trying to accomplish?)

Best,
    Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,
    1st, did you prime the new walls?
    I would highly recommend waiting until the the crown and wains cotting is installed b4 you attemp to install in case of it getting damaged.

Also, don't rely on the prepasted adhesive on the paper.
    Thin down some Clear adhesive,sort of like half the consistancy of paint.Apply it with a short nap roller,fold top half then bottom half, let sit for a couple of minutes then unfold and hang.
    I would seal the walls with Gardz by Zinsser (not a Home Depot product)paint store only.Careful it is watery.Let dry a few hours then you're good to go.

Also, don't rely on the prepasted adhesive on the paper.
    Thin down some Clear adhesive,sort of like half the consistancy of paint.Apply it with a short nap roller,fold top half then bottom half, let sit for a couple of minutes then unfold and hang.
    I second that, and I'd also recommend that you take a small piece of the wallcovering and do the folding (it's sometimes called 'booking' if you happen to be looking for information in other places) so that you see how long is too long. There are different thicknesses of paper on the backing, depending on the manufacturer, pattern, weight of the covering material, etc., and you need to know how long the optimal time is for the booking. The reason you do that is so the adhesive saturates the backing and you avoid bubbles and odd stretches. If you happen to have gotten some covering with cloth substrate, it's a lot more durable and if you forget it and leave it booked for 5-10 minutes it shouldn't come to any harm (leaving the paper for 10 will sometimes make it resemble what comes out of your pockets after something's been left in for the wash).

Good luck!