+ Reply to Thread

Default Foam vs Pink for exterior walls

I own a 2-story house in the NW suburbs of Chicago that was built in 1868 (old by midwest standards, still young by original 13 colony standards). I was up in the attic two weeks ago, looking to lay some R19 across the top of the existing R13 insulation between the ceiling joists. However, I looked down between the joists at the end of one of my gables, and I was surprised to see nothing - no insulation - all the way down to the basement sill!

So, I got three bids for adding insulation in between the exterior joists by the usual method - drilling a hole and filling in the cavity with insulation.

The question I have is this: The bid for AirCrete Foam insulation is TWICE the bid for pink fiberglass insulation. For a complete two-story house, this amounts to several thousand dollars difference between the two methods. Is the foam method worth the extra $$? Is there a large enough difference in the R-value between the two methods to make the difference in cost worthwhile? I assume that the foam does a better job, but is it worth several thousand dollars more?

I'm willing to pay the difference if you people think that it is worth it. What are your thoughts?

Default Re: Foam vs Pink for exterior walls

Is there a large enough difference in the R-value between the two methods to make the difference in cost worthwhile?
    If the product you are looking at is an injected liquid foam product there a definite advantage over fiberglass or cellulose.

While it may have similar R value per inch .... if installed correctly the foam will seal most of the air infiltration. The others types of insulation will not do this.

The R value is only one factor since it is only the value of Resistance of heat transfer through the material ...sealing air infiltration which prevents cold drafts will make the living space more comfortable and will contribute to preventing the heat gain/loss.

If it is a closed cell foam this will also act as a vapor barrier as well ... the others types of insulation don't.

Is it worth double ? Personally I think some outfits seem to be charging a premium price for the foam insulation ... I believe it shouldn't be more than 35% more than conventional materials ... but that's just my opinion.

There will be a payback on energy savings for both heating and cooling seasons ... how long ? That depends.

If there is knob & tube wiring it shouldn't covered by insulation.
    Last edited by canuk; 10-23-2007 at 08:51 AM.

Default Re: Foam vs Pink for exterior walls

Check for the K&T wiring, if you have that you have to rewire the walls to be able to add insulation. The foam is the best way to go. You will see a much larger payback than using filterglass or celly. The other nice thing about the foam is that it will never loose its rvalue over time or temp swings.