+ Reply to Thread

Default Selecting an energy efficient screen/storm door for a historical 1880's house

Dear TOH Experts,
    I have been looking around locally for advice on how to pick modern screen/storm doors that would look as close to vintage period doors, as replacement units, on my circa 1880's house. I realize that energy efficient door replacements would be aluminum, and 1880's doors were wood, but I am just looking for the closest thing to maintain the historical value of my house. Unfortunately, I'm rather new at this internet game and I don't know how to scan the pictures I took of my house entry doors and old screen/storm doors (which my father no doubt installed in 1947 when he bought the house), and upload or attach them to this E-mail. I didn't notice a written address to send the pictures to you to better help me in my quest, but there probably is. Can you help me????
    Thank you very much for you time and consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,

Charlie Hettrick
    chaz84919@aol.com
    Last edited by Charlie Hettrick; 10-27-2007 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Duplicate Trying To Cancel

Default Re: Selecting an energy efficient screen/storm door for a historical 1880's house

Charlie,I dont know about commputers myself,but i had my own screen door adventure.It sounds like we had the same goal.The local home centers sell many types of wonderful looking new doors that look old,perfect for my 1927 home.I found that even if installed properly,I could not get the energy efficeny i wanted.Most wanted me to spend extra for winter glass,they were just screened.On line i found better options,but the cost was very high.I understand a screen door wont be as efficient as my main door,but every little bit helps.I went with the best newer door i could find and moved on.Some day ,i hope to change it,it drives me crazy every time i see it.Good Luck