+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Disappointed with modern TOH

I wonder if I'm the only one who pines for TOH the way it used to be back in the Vila days. Back then the show was focused on the average home owner, you know, the ones with fewer than a million dollars to spend on home renovations?

Ask TOH is much closer to TOH roots. Perhaps that's why the producers developed ATOH? I'd like to see more features on TOH that can appeal to the average joe/jane. For example, why can't they find projects where the home owners have thousands of dollars in their budgets instead of hundreds of thousands?

Thumbs up Re: Disappointed with modern TOH

AH, well, Disappointed...

I am with you 110%! I can, however, do without old Bob....

Its nice to see million dollar mansions getting their face-lifts, but this old guy is more into doing it himself so I can almost afford the renovation, remodel.......etc.......

Default Re: Disappointed with modern TOH

I know exactly what you mean! My husband and I sit and watch PBS, HGTV, DIY networks, etc. and just laugh out loud. There doesn't seem to be much for people with an average income. But we do get great ideas from the programs.

When we remodeled our kitchen we made it handi-capable and gourmet chef ready, both. I made sure I had a whole wall of storage, and used beautiful tiles on the floor and backsplash. We don't have a Viking range but we do have a Jenn-Air gas cooktop and two wall ovens. The dishwasher is raised up from the floor.

I guess my point is, that you have to pick out the ideas you can use from all the expensive frou-frou.

One funny note: I love my faucet in the kitchen, very sleek, no knobs etc. I later saw it on "I Want That" on HGTV and they were praising it no end. "Isn't that great," I thought, "my faucet is something that HGTV thinks is really cool." And then they showed it being used in some rich person's dog bath.

So would everyone consider last year's East Boston project a typical "modern TOH" project? There was a full home renovation project that completed for under 250K?!?

East Boston was two homes for $250K after all.

And the Austin project was much more modest in scope, and certainly DC was quite reasonable. I'm sure most of the Vila-era projects would have comparable costs today. Real estate in the Boston area is much more expensive than it used to be.

While I enjoyed Manchester, Carlisle, Cambridge, etc., I'm happy that they seem to have dialed it back a bit from the more ridiculous luxury homes.

I don't know what show you are watching, but 3 out of the last five shows were not "luxury" homes. The "cottage", East Boston, and The Austin "green" home.
    Out of the two that were "luxury" homes, one was the 25th Anniversary TOH Home, which was a grand sight to see and one of my favorites, a perfect way to celebrate TOH. The other was the "modern" house, which was a great showcase of "modern" architecture, and TOH has always been a little about exploring other themes, showing alternatives, and educating us about ideas.
    I think TOH has been doing a great job, and is well on track to complete another 25 years of excellence. It's about variety, not showing the cheapest alternative.

Edit: I forgot the townhouse, so make it 4 out of 6 that aren't luxury homes.
    Last edited by vcangell; 06-07-2007 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Forgot the townhouse.

East Boston was two homes for $250K after all.

And the Austin project was much more modest in scope, and certainly DC was quite reasonable. I'm sure most of the Vila-era projects would have comparable costs today. Real estate in the Boston area is much more expensive than it used to be.

While I enjoyed Manchester, Carlisle, Cambridge, etc., I'm happy that they seem to have dialed it back a bit from the more ridiculous luxury homes.
    But you must remeber that so many things and services are donated to the people who are remodeling their house. I don't think the East Boston duplex or the Austin houses would have been quite so nice for just $125,000 (thinking of East Boston as two homes). Think of the labor costs.
    Last edited by cathairetic; 06-08-2007 at 11:56 AM.
    Blessed are the Purr in Heart.

Cats know your every thought. They don't care, but they know.

He who dislikes a cat was in his former life a rat.

Forum Rules violators will be shredded! Read my claws!

Vocatus atque non Vocatus Deus aderit

Cathairetic

I heard Tom Silva speak at a home show and this question was raised. He said that the reason they do these bigger, more expensive projects was that they needed to have a project big enough to fill up the 26 episodes. Everyone know that the TOH home remodels are beyond the scope of most people's own home remodeling plans (or budgets) but the show is there to give you ideas and to entertain you and to let you dream. Personally, I love it! I've gotten good ideas from the show that I've used. I certainly don't want to go back to the Vila days. So take the good ideas from the show and just enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by cathairetic View Post
    I know exactly what you mean! My husband and I sit and watch PBS, HGTV, DIY networks, etc. and just laugh out loud. There doesn't seem to be much for people with an average income. But we do get great ideas from the programs.

When we remodeled our kitchen we made it handi-capable and gourmet chef ready, both. I made sure I had a whole wall of storage, and used beautiful tiles on the floor and backsplash. We don't have a Viking range but we do have a Jenn-Air gas cooktop and two wall ovens. The dishwasher is raised up from the floor.

I guess my point is, that you have to pick out the ideas you can use from all the expensive frou-frou.

One funny note: I love my faucet in the kitchen, very sleek, no knobs etc. I later saw it on "I Want That" on HGTV and they were praising it no end. "Isn't that great," I thought, "my faucet is something that HGTV thinks is really cool." And then they showed it being used in some rich person's dog bath.
    I agree 100%. TOH has to be an idea show, no more, no less. Notice how they never mention pricing for services provided, materials, etc.
    But most if not all projects are out of my budget, and most of my customers as well.
    The Austin "green" project was one the the best in the last couple of years, though.
    But truely the best think that ever happened was giving Bob V the boot.

Sorry to disagree but since when is spending $125,000 to $250,000 a modest budget? Yes I do get great ideas from these shows and I certainly enjoy the workmenship that goes into it, but frankly having $200,000 or more to pour into a remodel is way above the average person watching this show.
    ON the other hand if Bob Vila came back I would be long gone. The people that TOH have on it are the best of the best when it comes to knowledge and the ability to do it themselves. They don't just walk around and watch somebody else do it for 30 seconds and then off to something else like the old shows did. These guys are craftsmen and I could watch them show their skill for hours. It makes me take my time when I do work and do it correctly. I like how the show has evolved over the years but yes I would like to see them do a remodel on a more modest budget (not everytime) but once in a while.