+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sewage Smell

Default Sewage Smell

I have a half bath off of the kitchen. It sits beside the door to the screened porch. When we leave the door to the porch open to allow fresh air to enter the house, a sewage smell develops. This smell is not present outside of the house and seems to only occure when we leave the outside door open. I cannot find the source of the smell in the bathroom itself. Anyone have any ideas where the smell might be coming from?

Default Re: Sewage Smell

Is the vent stack for your house coming through the roof anywhere near this door?

The fumes from your vent stack may be pulled with the breeze that is entering your screen door.

The vent stack goes through the roof above this bathroom, but the bathroom is on the first floor of a two story house. If it were doing this, I would have thought I would have had the smell in the screened in porch as well.

We are actually on city sewere, so there is not septic tank or cesspool.

Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    When we leave the door to the porch open to allow fresh air to enter the house, a sewage smell develops.
    This smell is not present outside of the house and seems to only occur when we leave the outside door open.
    When this does occur ... is this smell only present in the bathroom or present in other areas of the home as well ?

I cannot find the source of the smell in the bathroom itself. Anyone have any ideas where the smell might be coming from?
    Is this smell present with the bathroom door closed ?

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    When this does occur ... is this smell only present in the bathroom or present in other areas of the home as well ?

Is this smell present with the bathroom door closed ?
    The smell permeates the kitchen and starts by the open door to the porch which is right by the bathroom. I cannot be certain that it comes from the bathroom but cannot find any other source. The porch is a concrete and slate floor but it does not have the smell. Just inside the house. The smell is present with the bathroom door open or closed.

Is there water present in the bathroom sink trap to keep sewer gases from coming back??

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    Is there water present in the bathroom sink trap to keep sewer gases from coming back??

The bathroom is used daily, so there should be water in the trap.

OK, running out of ideas, but here is another another guess....

Does your sewer pipe exit the house in the area of this screen door? If so, is there a ground level vent coming up from this pipe?

The reason I ask is that on my parents house there is an air vent at ground level on their sewer pipe as it runs to the street. This vent is strategically placed next to the steps leading to the front door! Occasionally they get a nice aroma from this pipe vent!

Do you have basement or crawlspace access under kitchen - 1/2 bath area? If so do you see any leaks, seepage, etc. when the toilet is flushed or water run into the sinks?

Thanks to everyone for the feed back. Here is the additional information you were asking...

The house is an older one (1966) and has a basement. The main plumbing drains(sorry--I am in no way shape or form a plumber so my terminology may be incorrect)exit the house through the basement below the bathroom. I do not detect the odor in the basement, though. Also, there are no floor drains in the basement. I have visually inspected the pipes under the bathroom and see no evidence of a leak.

There is a medicine cabinate above the sink that is not particularly well sealed. Also, while the toilet does not rock, it does seem to sit at a slight angle.

The kitchen exhaust fans are about 35 feet away and are on the back wall and vent directly out the wall.

I assume a plumber could to a peppermint test and check the wax ring?