+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1

    Default sparks and flashes

    We own a 90 or so year old house that has been extensively renovated. Since the renovation and rewiring, every time we turn on the ceiling fan, there are sparks at the switch and the lamp plugged into an outlet related to that switch also flashes on and off. The switch does not have a switch plate on it because none fits. It's too late to go back to the original contractor who has left the State. Several handymen have claimed to fix it, or that it isn't really anything to be concerned about. Is this dangerous? Is there a fix for this that doesn't involve going into the walls and rewiring?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fayette County, Ohio
    Posts
    5,620

    Default Re: sparks and flashes

    Dwarfwytch pretty much said it. If you have sparks you have the potential for fire. Get someone who knows what he is doing.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    4,045

    Default Re: sparks and flashes

    If there are sparks this is not a good thing.

    every time we turn on the ceiling fan, there are sparks at the switch and the lamp plugged into an outlet related to that switch also flashes on and off.
    So... if I understand this correctly... the switch turns on the fan and an outlet ?

    I'm wondering if that circuit isn't being double fed possibly at the outlet or some bizarre set up where the switch may be part of a three way set up.
    You should get an electrician in to correct the issue.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fayette County, Ohio
    Posts
    5,620

    Default Re: sparks and flashes

    One other possibility is handymen have a tendency to use the stab connections on outlets and switches rather than the screws.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •