+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question compression fittings

what are your feelings on using compression fittings insted of soldering joints?

Default Re: compression fittings

Expensive and as with all mechanical joints problems with vibration and movement.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I don't care for them and avoid them whenever possible.

in fact they will not pass code im MA.,aside from toilet/sink connections..........they really are bad news

I have no idea about code issues but I have used compression fittings at work for years with no problems . I have used them on
    hydraulic systems with over 2000 psi . Compressed gases with hundreds of pounds of pressure , etc . The entire industrial world relies on them . Quality connectors are very expensive , but " bad news " ? Not hardly .

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    I have used them on
    hydraulic systems with over 2000 psi . Compressed gases with hundreds of pounds of pressure , etc . The entire industrial world relies on them . Quality connectors are very expensive , but " bad news " ? Not hardly .
    Under thousands of pounds of pressure, sure, but just try replacing an angle stop and not have it leak!

Personally, I've never had issues with compression couplings such as those used to join two pieces of irrigation pipe together, but angles stops and those darnedable flex tube supply lines are darn near impossible. That's why I save myself and future repair people the hassles and just install threaded nipples at all water supply connections and braided hoses to connect to fixtures.

Now if ****ie would just open up his apprenticeship program, none of these problems would be an issue ...

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Expensive and as with all mechanical joints problems with vibration and movement.
    Jack
    Reread your own post J.L. " as with ALL mechanical joints "
    I stand by what I said .

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    Reread your own post J.L. " as with ALL mechanical joints "
    I stand by what I said .
    My apology, I shouldn't have been so general in my answer but I stand by my opinion of those compression fittings.
    Jack

By the way around here the compression fittings used on gas lines and hydraulic lines are also flared and in the case of hydraulic lines are double flared.
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 10-26-2007 at 12:33 AM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb