+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question compression fittings

what are your feelings on using compression fittings insted of soldering joints?

Default Re: compression fittings

Expensive and as with all mechanical joints problems with vibration and movement.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I don't care for them and avoid them whenever possible.

in fact they will not pass code im MA.,aside from toilet/sink connections..........they really are bad news

I have no idea about code issues but I have used compression fittings at work for years with no problems . I have used them on
    hydraulic systems with over 2000 psi . Compressed gases with hundreds of pounds of pressure , etc . The entire industrial world relies on them . Quality connectors are very expensive , but " bad news " ? Not hardly .

Quote Originally Posted by djohns View Post
    I have used them on
    hydraulic systems with over 2000 psi . Compressed gases with hundreds of pounds of pressure , etc . The entire industrial world relies on them . Quality connectors are very expensive , but " bad news " ? Not hardly .
    Under thousands of pounds of pressure, sure, but just try replacing an angle stop and not have it leak!

Personally, I've never had issues with compression couplings such as those used to join two pieces of irrigation pipe together, but angles stops and those darnedable flex tube supply lines are darn near impossible. That's why I save myself and future repair people the hassles and just install threaded nipples at all water supply connections and braided hoses to connect to fixtures.

Now if ****ie would just open up his apprenticeship program, none of these problems would be an issue ...

" what are your feelings on using compression fittings insted of soldering joints? "

I prefer sweated joints on copper pipe, but that isn't always appropriate or "best" in a given situation. Sometimes a compression fitting is the "better" way to go.

With the advent of pex tubing combined with copper stub-outs for the sinks, toilets, etc.... compression fittings are almost a necessity. Since you shouldn't try sweating within 18" of pex, a compression stop (valve) is in order. (One way out of this is to sweat a threaded adapter on the copper stub-out before you attach the pex. Then you could use a threaded stop.)

Trying to sweat a chromed stop to a copper stub isn't really advisable. IIRC, the solder melts at 480F and the chrome will discolor at 500F. Not a very big window.

"Now if ****ie would just open up his apprenticeship program, none of these problems would be an issue ... "

Ha! Don't I wish.

Remember.......90% of learning is a negative experience. I've had my share and have more most everyday. Argh.......
    Last edited by goldhiller; 10-23-2007 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post
    "Now if ****ie would just open up his apprenticeship program, none of these problems would be an issue ... "

Ha! Don't I wish.

Remember.......90% of learning is a negative experience. I've had my share and have more most everyday. Argh.......
    ain't that the truth

hey john,im not talking about an idustrial type fitting,,ie victaulic...etc im talking about a homeowner using a 1/2 or 3/4 copper compressing fitting...........lets be real,would you want that in a wall?