+ Reply to Thread

Thread: De-thatch lawn

Question De-thatch lawn

My husband insists that using the weed eater to cut the "dead" grass shafts almost down to the dirt will let the lawn mower suck up the thatch. We have bermuda grass. I'm not so sure this is good for the grass and have never heard this type of "tip" about de-thatching. Is that good for the grass to cut it down that low in winter?

Default Re: De-thatch lawn

Your husband is in error. His method will only serve to weaken the health of the grass and rejuvenate the bermuda grass. If you want to dethatch, cut the lawn short with the mower, then using a metal leaf rake or garden rake, pull the thatch up and remove it from the lawn. There is also a dethatching machine that can be rented to do a similar job, but these mechanical devices tear the lawn up pretty good, so I'd opt for the less destructive hand work. Also, using a broad leaf herbicide or weed-n-feed specifically formulated to target bermuda will help.

Bermuda is a tough nut to crack, once you've got an infestation, it will take a lot of work to get rid of it. The two best methods I've used is to resod the entire lawn. The sod will smother out and prevent rapid regrowth, and it's important that once you start seeing bermuda making it's way back into the lawn that it get hand pulled immediately so that it can't get a root or tendril system established. In areas that aren't covered in grass, work the soil and remove all the bermuda you can, then apply a pre-emergent and top that with mulch or bark of some kind. The pre emergent will prevent new shoots from sprouting, as will a thick layer of mulch.

Hope this helps.

I could be wrong here spruce but I think they are saying that their lawn is bermuda grass, there are certain varities of bermuda that they use for high traffic lawns.

Having seen your other post, you may be correct. In these parts, Bermuda grass is a scourge!

I have a centipede lawn so I have no desire for bermuda. it would be a cause for breaking out the ole roundup