+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Painting Ceiling Medallions

Has anyone here ever purchased one of those ceiling medallions that are made from a lightweight polyurethane resin material and painted it? I'd like to know what type of paint to use on this that it won't eat away or damage the medallion?

Default Re: Painting Ceiling Medallions

You mean like these? Painted with flat latex.
    Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012806 015.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	284   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012806 016.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	285  
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    You mean like these? Painted with flat latex.
    Jack
    Jack,

Yes, those are the kind I'm referring to. Flat paint is not what I want for mine though. After I posted this, I contacted the company I ordered them from and they told me it had to be painted with a latex paint. I also contacted Krylon, who informed me that their line of metallic paints were not latex. However, they told me of the Ralph Lauren line called Duchess Satin, which is latex metallic paints. On searching, I discovered this line has been discontinued. Then later in the day when I went to my house, where the medallions are, I opened the box to discover there were instructions inside. Imagine that!!!! It says to prime them with either oil base or latex primer and then to paint them with the paint of your choice. But yet, the customer service rep told me it had to be latex. Which do I believe? The people who sold it to me (who also manufacture the medallions) or the instructions that were inside the box?!

Here is a picture of the color I am trying to match for my medallions.

Go with the instructions that came with it. The outer coating on the medallion will protect the foam so I don't see any problems. I don't think there would be any problems unless you soaked it in some solvents. In fact as I think back the one medallion of mine was painted with the same oil base paint we used on the metal fireplace.
    Jack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	012806 014 (Large).jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	303  

Thanks Jack! Did you brush your medallions or did you spray them?

Brushed them, I never use a sprayer.
    Jack

DwarfWytch...

You said you've done this.....can you show us some pictures? It sounds great!

You said it's easy, but to someone who is not familiar with the process, it sounds a bit intimidating...especially when you start talking about faux finishes.

Is the link you provided a step by step of the process you explained? That's what I'll need....someone to hold my hand.
    peace,
    Sophie

SophieC,
    The only I would add about **** leafing is that **** leafing on a ceiling is not much fun.
    Jack

Dw wrote I don't find ceiling finish work of any kind "unfun".

DW, you must be a lot younger than me.
    Jack

Craft stores sell little tubes of stuff called Rub and Buff - very easy to use. It comes in several metallics as well as black and white. You can leave the medallion plain white, or paint it a base color, then put a smidgen of Rub and Buff on a paper plate (or something else you can throw away later) and using your finger, put a very tiny bit on another part of the plate and pat it around so you have VERY little on your finger. Then rub your finger over the surfaces you want 'gilded', allowing the deeper crevices to remain the base color. A little Rub and Buff goes a loooooong way. And it drys fairly quickly, so don't put too much out at a time. You could cover a whole medallion with a pea-sized dab. Cleans up with soap and water too.