+ Reply to Thread

Default Studs becoming visible through the drywall....

My mom and dad's house is around 35 years old. When looking at the ceiling, the studs and nail holes are becoming visible through the drywall. The drywall is discolored where the studs are. Each stud in the ceiling is visible. We have had several repair professionals out and they don't have any explanation. Also, in some places in the corner of the ceiling and walls, there is discoloration, like the drywall had water settled on it. But, fortunately, all is dry.

I have a couple of thoughts, but I'm FAR from knowledgeable. So, I'm turning to you good people. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Default Re: Studs becoming visible through the drywall....

I don't remember the exact term for that, but what is happening is the framing is wicking the cold to the interior which then condenses moisture from the warmer room side air. The moisture attracts airborne dust and dirt, causing the shadows on the walls and ceiling. There should not be enough moisture build up to cause damage, only enough for the dust to collect and discolor the surfaces.

Periodic cleaning and repainting will keep the streaks at bay. Not sure if there there is a cure for the cause that is economical or aesthetic.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm glad to know there shouldn't be enough moisture to cause any real damage. We'll get to work repainting I guess, and maybe checking into ways to fix it, if there are any. Thanks again.

otherwise known as " ghosting "
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

It's also called shadowing, and is usually more pronounce in homes with smokers, or candles, or wood heat that put particles into the air. Insulating over the joists will help prevent the problem in the future.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    otherwise known as " ghosting "
    Krykee! do you have to get so technical?!?!?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!