+ Reply to Thread

Default recessed lights for an extra shallow ceiling?

Hi All-
    We are in the process of TRYING to put recessed lights in our 1925 kitchen. We went out and bought some 5" diameter remodel cans because that was the smallest diameter can we could get at that store that would allow 75 watt bulbs. (We need them to light the workspace on the counter tops, not just for ambient lighting)
    After my husband cut the three holes in our plaster and lath ceiling, we discovered a problem. Our ceiling joists are just a hair UNDER 5.5 inches deep (either the joists were never standard width or they shrunk a bit over the years)...so the cans bump the bottom of the above floor, and don't sit flush with the kitchen ceiling.
    I've been searching for shallow can remodel housings, but they are all a minimum of 5.5 inches deep. I also didn't realize how limited our choices would be in 5" diameter lights...
    Does anyone have suggestions on how to solve this problem? Is there such a thing as an EXTRA shallow can recessed light? If so, I can't find it!
    Thanks in advance for any input.

Default Re: recessed lights for an extra shallow ceiling?

We have the same problem, but with a standard 6" recessed light. Space under our bathroom floor is only 4 1/2" allowance. Anyone have a source for extra shallow recessed lighting?

brightbean ....something like this might work

Here's a link .... click on model 1003R ....

http://www.lightolier.com/products/i...N&CAT_ID=24368
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Probably too late for you now, but to help others: There is a company that sells 3/4" shallow remodel fixtures. The line voltage are 4" tall from the bottom of the ceiling. The low voltage are 2 1/2" high. www.twicebright.com

Check out low profile and ultra low profile cans from Contrast Lighting www.contrastlighting.com They have cans 3.25in tall.

Nice contrast lighting dude.

We had insufficient lighting in our kitchen. I bought 4 of the T67 LED light kits at the orange store. These are the kits that allow you to convert a can to an LED. They also fit in the standard 4" J box. I was able to fish wire to the new lamps and they light up the entire counter and work area.

Good luck