+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default exterior steel insulated door

I have a steel insulated door about 20 to 25 years old. I cut a hole for a dead bolt wrong. Is it possible just to replace the door (slab) or do I have to replace the jam and door.

Default Re: exterior steel insulated door

you should be able to just replace the door, the main thing is to measure the hinge locations to make sure both doors are the same. what did you do wrong to your door? it might be fixable.
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

I think I cut the hole 2 3/8 backset and it was suppose to be 2 /3/4 backset I believe thats what I did wrong

Hey kboudreau,
    I am Gregg with The Home Depot in Chicago. I have messed up my fair share of doors while mortising the hinges or boring for the lockset, but messing up the backset isn’t a tragedy. Most locksets are adjustable to fit in a 2-3/8” or a 2-3/4” backset. If that’s the only problem you shouldn’t have to replace the door. Is it a door the outside of your house or a door from your house to your garage? Let me know what you are going to do. Good luck. –Gregg

Steel in door is too safe now a days, its necessary also due to bad security measures in all over the world