+ Reply to Thread

Default trying to replace old sargent single bolt deadbolt

Please take a look at the attached photos. This particular lock is cut a bit different that traditional locks as the bolt is not centered on the opening for the knob and therefore traditional deadbolts won't fit into this cutout. I've been told its a mortise lock and i would have to remove the entire lock and a wrap around plate, deadbolt and knob can be installed. i understand having to put a wrap around plate on to accommodate a different cut out but why would i have to replace the knob since it's independent of the deadbolt. is this accurate? Any suggestions would be most welcome. owen dawson
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_ODY3982.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	3763   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_ODY3983.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	3764  

Default Re: trying to replace old sargent single bolt deadbolt

Unless you can find another lock of the same exact brand and design, you're not going to be able to reuse the knob because it will be incompatible with anything else. If you're referring to having to replace the door knob independently of the deadbolt system, that should not be the case, unless the handset also has a locking mechanism and you want the locks to be keyed alike.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

It doesn't look like the lockset is a combined mortise lockset. The deadbolt and latch look like they just have different backsets(distance from door edge to centerline of lock). After you determine what you have, you can see waht's available. Some locks have two backsets built in.

Hey owenpga, I work for The Home Depot out of Chicago.
    I looked through the Sargent website and could not find any current lock that resembles what you have.

In fact, I have never seen a lock made like the one on your door.
    A locksmith just might have one of these tucked away somewhere, unsold for decades. The lock may be repairable as well. If not then I would try to replace it while still using the existing cylinder hole.

Measure the backset of your existing deadbolt. If it is 2 or 2 3/8 then your best bet is to buy a lock drilling kit and use the template to drill a new latch bore in the door. You can get a wrap guard for just the deadbolt which will add some strength as well as cover most of the old cutout in the door edge.
    I see no need to replace the doorknob, unless you want to.

Hope this helps,
    HDNewf

yes try it and sure i will be satisfied for the result.

Its nice idea to be replacement
    thanks for sharing this awesome awesome post