+ Reply to Thread

Default very low pressure

Our house was built back in 1947 and as you well know things get old and break down. The problem we're experiencing is extremely low water pressure. If the washing machine is drawing water nothing else can be used. I suspect it to be sediment in the main line coming into the house. How can this be fixed without digging things out, or spending an enormous amount of money?

Default Re: very low pressure

Has the pressure decreased over time or has it always been low when operating to fixtures?
    Most older homes only used 1/2" lines to all the fixtures, and if your home is that way, then your just going to have to live with it or replace the piping.
    Plumbing and Heating Tech.
    My plumbing website Hidden Content

If you have galvanized pipes the build up in side may leave as little as a pin hole size for water to flow. You don't mention whether you have city water or a well. How do you know it's restricting the water coming into the house and not the internal plumbing.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for replying about the low pressure and you're right, I did forget to mention that I get city plumbing. I also don't have the old galvanized plumbing, that was changed to copper before we had moved in.

First check with your neighbors and see it they are having the same problem. If they are call you city water department, it may be all the pressure that they provide. Many old system have not been updated to keep up with new demands. If that is the problem you could add a pressure booster pump and tank
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb